Best mate drive your car

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Would you let your best mate drive your car? I don't think I have any friends that I would want to let near my car, let alone let them drive it.

I was chatting in the pub the other day and it came up that I never lend my car to mates! :eek: No way I though, but am I in the minority?

You are not alone. I once let my brother-in-law drive my MG into work for an MOT. I watched him and heard him wheel spin out of the end of the road and tore it up the main road, not much fuel left when he brought it back. No-one else drives it now, not even the wife!

"Hey Mike," he asks "Can I drive your Cobalt to the gas station?"

I answer, "No."

"You let my SISTER drive, and she's nowhere near as good a driver as me"

"No."

"Why the h--- not?"

"She doesn't know where the gas pedal is. You do."

I have let my mate who I bought her off have a drive after I got her mapped (just to make him feel sick on what he was missing out)

And just before I came out to Bahrain I let my other mate go for a quick drive on a pvt road. Only for about 5 min, and I was in the car. The smile on his face was worth the risk tho. He was over the moon. The fastest car he had driven pvs was a 1.6 pug!

I did warn him tho, if he slipped the clutch or stalled, it would be all over!! :amuse:

My best mate doesn't fit in my Recaros very well so he'd struggle to drive it! He's only ever had a Matiz as well he wouldn't be able to handle it. My other best mate has a history of crashing cars, so he's not allowed anywhere near it!

I do have a few trusted people though. My local mechanic has to drive it occasionally to take it for work and I let the guy who did my rear arches deliver the car to me from London (to Northampton).

No one but me and my mum have insurance for mine so no.
Although my mate has moved it for ne when we was at Cadwell Park once.

:blink: Your brave! No woman, ever, no matter if I had just had both my legs hacked off with a chain saw, and the only option was for a woman to drive my car to save me, I still wouldn't let em. :amazed:

3 Reasons

1 - Can't park (sorry, not even your mum. No woman can park)
2 - They cant reverse
3 - What if someone needs out of a juction, maybe someone you know, there is a 99.99% chance she will not let them out, giving you negative respect as a driver.

:blink: Your brave! No woman, ever, no matter if I had just had both my legs hacked off with a chain saw, and the only option was for a woman to drive my car to save me, I still wouldn't let em. :amazed:

3 Reasons

1 - Can't park (sorry, not even your mum. No woman can park)
2 - They cant reverse
3 - What if someone needs out of a juction, maybe someone you know, there is a 99.99% chance she will not let them out, giving you negative respect as a driver.

My mums like a boy racer. ;)
I've taught her well.
She embarrasses most men on the road at the lights. :lol:

I know quire a few good female drivers most with GTRs one of which would and does embarras most guys ( including myself)

Drives a 600 bhp skyline ......................................on the track

Actually now I think about it, no friend of mine has driven the beast or has even asked to drive it. The way I carry on about my baby I think they already know what the answer would be ;) I have taken a few on spirited passenger rides though :amuse:

One or two of the female learners i know i would probably let drive somewhere like a carpark but not on the road.
As for my firends, no chance, most of them would probably keep on the gas till they have no chance of making the next corner then climb the first available tree...

I have very few people I would even consider letting drive my car other than my wife.

There is probably only one person I can think of though, and I know they drive sensibly, don't speed and have good road skills and anticipation.