Best LSD to run

A

AutoCustomEng

I've got my fully converted 328 with a supercharger ready for drifting, i am looking for a good LSD, at the moment i am running the ZM3 LSD but it is to gradual and i have been told to forget Quaiffe

any idea?

What ratio of diff are you after? I've heard good things about Quaife and had one on my Rover with no problems. Did they give a reason about the Quaife diffs? Have you considered welding the axle altogether - only really worth doing if it is a 100% drift machine.

Well i used to do alot of motorsport running T-Cars and BMW M3 full race builds and found a few Quaifee sequential gearboxes failed on us but we weren't running a quaiffe LSD but a BMW M3 race diff;

I don't want to weld the axle together just because i want to swap the diffs when i race it and change it back for drifting, I am going to have a look at the ratios but i need to see what they offer,

I don't think I properly welcomed you to the site before. It is nice to have you along and it looks like there is a lot you can contribute. What you really need is a diff which is electrically adjustable - this I think is a hole in the market. Audi have a semi-locking diff which actually works quite well, but this is probably not suitable for drifting. I'll scout around a bit and see what options you have to choose from. What sort of power are you running?

Hi wayne thanks for the welcome,

I am at the moment only at 350bhp and 240lb/ft, the 2.8 is coming out and i am going to drop the compression to 8.5:1 I want to run around 20psi,

ATB already do a air locking system for diffs but only on industial vehicles, I was working on the developed for the new Landy's going to Iraq and we installed them this i can probably replicate onto a diff but i need to get a pneumatic air pump,

I was thinking about a new idea that i saw a tuner company doing as a bit of a demo, They were running 4 tiny turbos off a Smart Car one a RED Top, I may do something along these lines maybe 3 medium size?

I am a BMW and Kit car tuner, i have a full machine shop at my workshop and we can build custom parts etc, I am also a tig, mig welder and can do modifications and rollcages, I also have with sister companies an engine dyno and rolling road, I am going to become an MOTEC ecu tuner as well,

I have often wondered about a large and 1 small turbo setup. Would this not give better/more controllable power gains. I bet the smart was putting out silly power - didn't they have a massive traction problem?

On the diff front - a lot of power tuners are running with Eaton diffs. (I think they are American based and are better known for their superchargers.)

The main problem is running as small in to large turbo is when the larger turbo is run up and starts to try and suck too much air through the small turbo you get a restriction which can lead to TURBO STALL,

Two ways you can get round this is to put a 'corkscrew' effect before the small turbo to create a vortex allowing more air to flow through the small turbo in a plug hole effect!!!

The SMARTS only assets are the tiny turbos for my BMW with one or two per cylinder,

I know Eaton diffs i have heard the same, they are the same people who make the EATON supercharger,

I think i am tempted to try a modification to a standard gear diff and put an airlock system into it, something different that might be able to catch on

I have often wondered about a large and 1 small turbo setup. Would this not give better/more controllable power gains. I bet the smart was putting out silly power - didn't they have a massive traction problem?

On the diff front - a lot of power tuners are running with Eaton diffs. (I think they are American based and are better known for their superchargers.)

i am pretty sure some guy in sweden did this with a golf GTI. it was in a redline magasine some time back. what he got out of it was over 1000BHP but the thing was scary as ****. an audi block, 4WD, but it was smaller than your average turbos. i'll have a wee look at the article and then come back to it.
Enjoi

I appreciate your research. I'm very interested in this as it appears to be the answer to lag.

Kaaz do a diff for type 188 medium case bmw diffs. Undoubtedly the best you could buy for drifting for your car.

Personally if it was just drifting Id save my £800 and weld it up but whatever floats your boat lol.

The reason the Quaife diff isnt ideal for drift use is the way it operates. When drifting you want the diff to "lock". Hence why welded diffs work so well, they are always locked lol.
Taken from their own web site.
he BMW 328i E36 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential never locks harshly with a set pre-load of wheel slip across the driven axle, like a conventional LSD. Rather, the BMW 328i E36 Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential automatically biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle, to a constantly varying degree, and never locks.

Get someone to rebuild your oem BMW lsd to a good spec, buy a kaaz or weld it.

Thanks for that steerfromtherear the Quaife looks bad from a drifters point of view. Welding does make a lot of sense and saves a lot of money.

What welding method would work best on a diff then? I've heard conflicting reports about sheering depending on the seams used etc...

Powerful mig welder used by someone who knows what they are doing on a well cleaned and prepared diff should be more than ok. Its the home brewed 120amp efforts that break (bit like my e34's drifters diff lol) and give them the bad name.
Weld a plate in (or cut down bolts whatever you have to hand) to tie it all together and give strength so its not just the welds taking the pressure.

I am sure there are better ways again with stick welders etc but the fact is Mig is the most common and accessible.

:lol: NO WAY!!! He probably put superglue on his tyres to give him better grip.

See our tuning lies thread for more of these stupid tips that I never ever imagined people would do!

wow i feel dumb over here there's so much stuff to learn...... if anyone has some good links can you please send them to me thanks a lot o also i have some questions about LSD`s and were you can find them in the USA for Mazda mx-5`s

Im actualy not very sure i will try to find out but for a lsd is it just one lsd or 4 lsds one for each wheel?

I appreciate your research. I'm very interested in this as it appears to be the answer to lag.

there was a car that was a turbo spooled by a supercharger, the way they set it up was so that the super charger spun and pumped air to spool the turbo, once a boost level hit were more air was needed by the turbo that the charger couldnt supply a valve ( kind or waste gate ) opened in a bypass tube allowng air to be sucked into the turbo by bypassing the supercharger but still also leaving the super charger running. eliminating lag to a degree

need help people.ive an evo 7 it drives grand wen its cold,but once it gets warm,wen drivin round corners the diff starts clickin its grand other than that.i was told that its a compition diff that its meant to b lik that it just annoys me d sound of it wen drivein around town need advice wat to do wit it,if to take it out and sell it and put a standard 1 in,any advice ???