Best honda between 4000 and 7000 (nz dollars)

Tank

Car
1989 Accord LX
hey you may of guessed but i'm quite young and money doesn't grow on trees. Ok assume that you had a vast selection of hondas that had all done roughly 120000kms (75000miles), and they were between the years 1994 to 1998. What car would be the best value for money? General question i know but to make things easier could you answer in terms of performance, tune-ability (how easy it is to improve performance), and just how to get the best out of them. PS: Vtec hondas only please!!! with preferably manual transmission. Don't worry about looks i can fix them later, and anyway with all the wanabes in my country a sleeper would be great fun to have haha.

Hi Tank and welcome to TorqueCars. Not sure on nz dollars to GB pounds but looking at the age and mileage I think you would be better off with either a Prelude with the 2.2 engine or a Civic with a VTEC engine the 1.6 and 1.8 VTECS are very lively.

The Civic coupe looks fantastic and the VTI-S is certainly worth a look.

If you want silly power then a supercharger will help. A remap can move the VTEC kick in to lower down the rev range.

Have a read of Princes engine tuning article in the Honda forum (sticky) that should give you some food for thought.

Honda, VTEC, between the years of 94 and 98 and tunable? Civic Coupe! Either a 5th gen or a 6th gen. Both look fantastic done up and can be easily tuned to give very good power figures. However, the Civic Coupe is insurance 14...so if money is a problem then it might get expensive!

Yeah thanks guys, you all make valid points. i think i'd probably be looking at an accord or civic between the years 94-98 they do look fantastic and from what i've learned recently there are a couple of things you can do relativly cheaply to increase power etc. i was wondering if it would be worth sticking an electric supercharger in the intake pipe but i don't know what else i would have to change ecu remap, stronger parts etc.

Nope dont bother, i cant see how they can produce enough pressure to make a noticible difference. the volume of air you can uses as standard is more than it could possibly shift without burning out

The electric superchargers are only effective at WOT and they do not actually create that much pressure.