Best engine options

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What are the best engine options in the Passat range? My dad is thinking of getting one but he's looking at a Diesel and I want to get him looking at the petrol ones instead.:confused:

I've told him about remaps and he likes the sound of that so what would be the best for a remap and massive power?

ether the 1.8t petrol or the 130 diesel

would say the diesel offers the best performance for value in the main
remapped most diesels will leave the equivalent petrol 1.9TDI Vs 1.8T most of the time other than off the line.
spend time looking through remaps that offer huge power these are quite often done by spiking the boost early on to give you a surge of torque. feels good but is murder on the clutch. others will give more OEM feel and still give you good power.

Custom code,Chipped-uk, R-tech, Revo, Jabba sport all do maps for the Vag range.

4.0 32v W8 - Noise is fantastic ;)

Serious note... 1.8T imho. Great strong engine, huge tuning potential, sensible MPG and they live forever.

The 1.9 PD Diesels are pretty good, but they tend to suffer smoke issues and are showing their age - they're nothing like as refined as modern diesels.

It would be the 1.8T engine from me. Bullet proof and capable of delivering over 300bhp on stock internals. There are also plenty of mod options around for it.