Best ECU piggy back

layton

Car
Suzuki Baleno
Have just installed a new head to my Baleno G16B engine which has been ported/polished, refaced and upping the compression ratio to 8.9:1 Had a spare cam and had it reground to 274/280 profile. Sadly the ECU cannot handle it.To get the best gains from the cam need to install an after market ECU so we can play around with the timing etc. Any suggestions greatly appreciated as there are many after market ones out there and not sure which one would be most suitable.

If you want to play yourself i would probably say mega squirt, but personally I would use a dastek unichip.

Heard good things about Dastek Unichip but it's still limited compared to full standalone. 8.9:1 seems very low for a tuned N/A motor?

I agree about the limitations of the Dastek but the op did ask about piggy back, I've used the unichip on a couple of occasions on my old marea estate it was able to handle the supercharger, nitrous and launch control.

Yeah 8.9:1 is very low for an NA engine, maybe get a supercharger fitted

I'd go for a full standalone for best results, Emerald and DTA are probably your best choices and there are plenty of knowledgeable people who can map them

I'd go for a full standalone for best results, Emerald and DTA are probably your best choices and there are plenty of knowledgeable people who can map them

Why are they? They're all practically the same. You want whatever the best mapper in your area can map most comfortably.

Generally the standalone unit tend to have more perimeters that can be adjusted and have more features unless it's a really complicated new car standalone would be my choice, and yes find the best mapper in your area, unless you want to travel

No I mean what makes you say DTA and Emerald are the best choice? Especially when Motec are widely regarded as the industry leaders.

Some of the best mappers in the country use DTA and emerald offer the best value for money also I have seen the brilliant results from both brands first hand so I reckon you can't go wrong there, Motec are good but I tend to find they only really offer the same features of many other manufactures so does really warrant the extra cost, unless you drive an impreza or evo then you can buy plug and play ecu's and controllers for there 4wd systems.

I suppose really then it's largely down to how well the person maps it,

On other thing to note when buying a piggyback ecu is that some of them do not inlclude protection against knock. This can be fatal in a stressed engine so get one that incorporates a feed from the knock sensor or at least factor this in when setting it up.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back