Best dry track day tyres?

PeterPan

Torque Junkie
Car
SECMA QT-R1000
Hello peeps!

Need to order a new set of tyres for my QT-R1000 (at last).

(140bhp, 360kg, RWD, mid engined)

It'll only be used in the dry, but will be used on the road with the occasional track day.

Just wanted some opinions (preferably first hand experiences) of the best dry handling tyres out there?

Shortlist contains;
Michelin TB5
Toyo R888
Avon ZZS

Things to consider in order of priority;
Dry braking
Dry handling
Behaviour at limits of grip
Longevity
Price

Any input here gratefully received.

Syron Street race, road legal slicks.
I have a friend who is a Jaguar test driver and he feels they are far better than any other track day tyre he's used, I've been using them for a few years now, but I will say, they don't last very long.

Last edited:
MY only experience is with Federal 595 RSR's and Nitto NT01'S .
The Federals were 140 TWI and the NT01's 100 TWI.
The Nitto's were grippier but noisy on the road.

FWIW for your application I would research the Dunlop and Kumho range as well and possibly fit even softer say 80 TWI tyres as your car is low powered and light with good power to weight.

You always have to weigh up grip vs long life when you decide what to buy.

There is no such thing as the best track day tyre. If there was everyone world be using it :) The trick is finding the tyre that works for your wheel size/engine power/weight etc. A tyre that works on a one tonne car won't necessarily work on one weighing less than half that. I'd start by looking at the tyres used by the fastest cars of a similar weight to yours.

Track design also plays a part in tyre choice. The R888's are good all rounders and IMO you'll be very happy with them.

Good all rounders are OK for those who are happy to be a good all rounder :)

What is, IMO, more important than tyre choice is pressure choice. A couple of PSI out can be the difference between winning and losing. However, if you are happy being a good all rounder then this isn't an issue :)

Had a look at Syron street race (as recommended earlier in this thread), unfortunately they are not available in the size that I require and have just realised that I omitted this rather critical piece in information .V(

Size required is (+/-) 185/55/R13

bit more internet searching done and i keep coming back to two choices it seems...

R888R's (x4) = £347
TB-5's (x4) = £810

Love the look of the Michelin's but I think i'll be hard pressed to justify more than double the price! especially as I'll not be 'racing', the Secma is a fun road car (dry day, summer toy).

personally I would definately go fr the old design 888s.
The new design isnt supposed to be better its been designed because the tread is more acceptable road legal wise.
I have run old syle 888s on the stagea and find them awesome .
Mind you its the exact opposite o this project. A lot more weight (but awd and a lot more power as well )

Best dry track day tyres are those which offer the best threads, an added road grip and a balanced drive. Ask for the same when you change the tyre for the first time.

Just had a play with an A3 fitted with Toyo R888's and I'm really impressed. The surface was dry and warm but it really gripped nicely and gave good cornering feel.

I have driven on Federal RS-R,RS-RR.Nitto NT01and Nankang AR1's and all are noisy.

They may not be considered "the best" tyres as one is always governed by their budget and I can get 4 tyres for the same price as 2 of the more expensive brands like Yokohama,Dunlop,Kumho ETC.

FYI I have been told that the Nittos are made in the Toyo factory BUT have no info as to weather they have the same rubber compound.