Best car you've owned

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the best car you've owned and would you buy one again if it is not your current car?

For me the A4 Quattro was my favourite to drive but I do still have a soft spot for my mk1 A3 1.8T engined car, it was well build and good fun to drive.

Don't think I've had a best car. The most surprising was the Nissan Primera 2.0. Faultlessly reliable with utterly sensational handling and grip.

Downsides: bit cramped, not especially quiet, not quick enough. 130bhp and automatic transmission doesn't make for sparking performance.

Bought new in 1997 it came with standard AC and ABS. Unusual during that era in a £16,000 car.

What ever the car I have is the best one to me. I have indigo.

Not sure about a best car yet and I have been driving for an awfully long time. One of the most interesting is certainly my current car a SAAB 9-3 Aero which has been modified here and there ;)
It gives me great pleasure just firing it up and listening to it explode into life, I get quite a buzz before I even put my foot on the throttle ;)

Good question and for me I can list a few that have made memories. But the old MG ZS still has something about it even after over 11 years. Would I put it in the best category? I guess it's been the most reliable car i've had and it still puts a smile on my face. I've had better cars when you compare build quality, spec and performance but none have had the driving experience or soul. Each to their own.

Really tough one Waynne. All my cars have stories to tell for different reasons. Most memorable I suppose is my 1983 Prelude. Bought when I was 18 and it was faultless, never missed a beat. The old 1986 Metro we had when Jan and I got married holds memories, following an ambulance at 5am to the hospital where our first child was born and bringing her home next day terrified but excited thinking what are we doing. GTR was most exciting to drive, just the noise and whole driving experience

Difficult. The nicest, most accomplished one is certainly the Merc. But I loved the Vectra Gsi and Sri for their V6 sound, I loved the Clio 172 cos it was my first new car, handled amazingly, was fully loaded. But I also loved the zs180 for the handling, the engine and the fact it could embarass 'superior' cars.

Andy I know exactly what you mean, when we brought Ash home we laid her on the sofa and I remember thinking "wow, we're completely responsible for this little life.'

Not sure about a best car yet and I have been driving for an awfully long time. One of the most interesting is certainly my current car a SAAB 9-3 Aero which has been modified here and there ;)
It gives me great pleasure just firing it up and listening to it explode into life, I get quite a buzz before I even put my foot on the throttle ;)

Os by stating that the T9 is "modified here and there" IMO makes you the master of understatements |B :)

Tough. Having owned high performance sports cars, luxury saloons,classics and everything inbetween etc it's the mundane cheapies that have blown me away. Mx5 1.6mk2, mk3 mondeos and pug 205......all superb drivers cars

The Honda Accord that her indoors has passed on to no 2 son was totally reliable the 7 years she drove it as it only needed 1 battery replaced. She now drives a KIA Sportage and loves it so hopefully the makers 7 year unlimited warrantry is a sign of reliability and trouble free motoring.

i think the first car you rebuild for fun and improvement (half way through you think, why o why did i start this) is the one that sticks with you the most...
a vauxhall vicount 3.3ltr strait 6 1965 with crasda manual gearbox, instead of the powerglide auto, i got the car in 1979

vauxhall%201976%20Viscont%20'76.jpg

gorgeous car. wish they were exported to europe.

Best at what. You cant measure Best so all answers will be subjective.
I. Best on a proud to own basis - My GSM Flamingo.
2. Best at mpg - Trojan 3 wheeler did 80+ to the gallon
3. Best pose machine - Most of my convertible Sports cars, I still have an SLK which I love.
4. Best Handling - One of several Lotus cars they were subline.
5. Best for nearly killing you- My modified Lotus Sunbeam whoever though putting a Lotus Esprit engine in a Talbot Horizon was Best at being a Chimp.
6. Best ( Fondly) remembered - My 1960 850 Mini back in the early 60's.
7. Best at going fast- My Cossie will always hold that.
8. Best at being a great drivers car - My Audi Sport never should have sold it.
9. Best at going wrong & being a total pile of poo- Once owned a real dog of a Fiat 124.
Asked to pick one best it would be the White 1960 850 Mini life cant get much better than being one of very few teenagers to own a car back then & having a head start in the 'pulling' stakes. I was reading about what went on it in my wifes Diary from back in the day & we had a chuckle. Yep! that was the Best.;)

HDI I guess you don't understand when someone is being a tad sarcastic about a truly shocking car |B. Still I guess your right you cant joke or be sarcastic about something as important as a car. Will I get a ban for that or a written warning. Lighten up for heavens sake.

Rod, everyone has a different level of humour and how they interpret it; and thank goodness for that. Clones we are not, but appreciative of the other persons cars and their achievements thus made on this website is a bonus. We all have a different sense of priorities and whatever we as individuals are able to achieve with our budgets, then I for one salute you all. Let us be nice on here as being 'Friendly' is a site rule. Time and life is all too short so let it be enjoyed when the opportunity is there. Have a pleasant evening gentlemen ;)

HDI I guess you don't understand when someone is being a tad sarcastic about a truly shocking car |B. Still I guess your right you cant joke or be sarcastic about something as important as a car. Will I get a ban for that or a written warning. Lighten up for heavens sake.

What a spurious response, Rod. Please tell me what's offended you this time. Appears you think I was digging at you. I wasn't and the same applies now.

Last edited:
What is the best car you've owned and would you buy one again if it is not your current car?

For me the A4 Quattro was my favourite to drive but I do still have a soft spot for my mk1 A3 1.8T engined car, it was well build and good fun to drive.
So many but for out right performance was my R8 gen 1 V10 plus with capristo exhaust and chipped. However got written off a couple of years ago but now prefer older toys. As for best it also depends on the day and which midlife crisis i am going through lol

I plan to stretch my mid life crisis to the entire second half of my life!

I think Older cars are more rewarding to tune and setup, and they seem to make for more interesting projects.