Best Car insurance For New Young Drivers

teaszer

Authorised Trader
Car
Rover 25 1.4
Well we all know that car insurance for young drivers is a major killer. We only pay about £500 for the car itself then are forced to look at a £3000+ bill for a years worth of car insurance.Then in comes the named driver.
Through that many parents find that a cheaper alternative but it is actually illegal as they young drivers are the main drivers. But what the hell, they cant prove it so im still gonna do it :bigsmile:
I have managed to get my insurance down as a named driver on my 1995 polo 1.4L 3dr to around £1500. Does anyone with past experience know or recommend a few tips of how I could get this down even more.

one way - find something small with a tiny engine and just leave this lying somewhere while using it to build up your ncb, and use your parents insurance on the car you will run around in. not advocating this way though.
I didnt insure a car for 3yrs and 3months and so lost max ncb (in fact total 10yrs no claim) and had to start again just under 3yrs ago - am older now so not such a pain but still resentful of the insurance company - PRIVELEGE you theives!

a named driver made my insurance go up, i'm the only on on mine, 2years NCB £800.

TIPS

get a 5 door
give a low Estimated Annual Mileage
get a car with engine size 1.0 - 1.2
say car is garaged over night
put a lower value on car eg (car bought for £4000, say the value is £3000)

Thats what ive done :amazed:
Its a 3dr 1.4
Gets garaged over night
value put down at 400
and me down as a named driver with my mum bein the made has nailed it down to £1500 for now. Think i should get on the phone to a few of them and try get it down lower plus i should be doing my pass pluss once ive passed my test :D

just watch yourself if you do have and accident when lets say your on your way to work you may find your insurance doesnt pay as named drivers are not always covered for commuting.

are you going fully comp or 3rd party ? if your going fully comp theres no point really as the car is near enough worthless.

also try and see if parking on the street is less than in a garage ? sounds stupid but could be.
also try it the other way around you as the main driver and your mum as the named driver.
ohh yeah and the mods will put it up considorly

just watch yourself if you do have and accident when lets say your on your way to work you may find your insurance doesnt pay as named drivers are not always covered for commuting.

are you going fully comp or 3rd party ? if your going fully comp theres no point really as the car is near enough worthless.

also try and see if parking on the street is less than in a garage ? sounds stupid but could be.
also try it the other way around you as the main driver and your mum as the named driver.
ohh yeah and the mods will put it up considorly
Yhh true, Erm im going fully comp as its £500 cheaper than 3rd party fire and theft. I have tried me as a main driver and my mum as the named but the price is just ridiculous. So for now once im driving im gonna have to take it easy and drive carefully.