Best car for drift?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the best car for drifting?

Big powerfull and heavy or small and light? What car would you say is the perfect drift machine?

I think you have to go a long way to beat the Toyota AE86 but I've also been impressed by Skylines and 350z's!

BMW E30's, they're set up to oversteer from the factory.

Any rear wheel drive car with a welded diff can drift, wet car park or diesel spill optional (depending on power)

BMW E30's, they're set up to oversteer from the factory.

Any rear wheel drive car with a welded diff can drift, wet car park or diesel spill optional (depending on power)
dont even joke about that mate there are idiots out there that will put down oil to help them drift. fair enough on private ground but dont do this in a carpark or especially on the public roads

Living near Dover there are frequent diesel spills so It is a naturally occurring phenomena! Sadly a few bikers have lost their lives due to diesel spills so as PG says - DONT DO IT YOURSELF READERS!

The question is though which would be the best car for drifting? Small and light, Big and powerfull? Is the AE86 the perfect drift machine?

Apolgise for my last post on this topic.

In reference to the original question i would argue that big and powerful would have the edge over a small and light car. Big generally means heavy, heavy proving more stable so that, once you are in the drift, it's easier to control and hold. A light can IMO would be more likely to spin right round (baby right round) than a bigger car and less likely to catch should the worse happen.

Remember you are usually not in control when you are dirfting and that the worest usually happens. Drift learning events are helded at most UK circuits...Santa Pod also offers a Drift What ya Brung event sort of like the quater mile events. You turn up in your car (attempt) to drift and if it's not broken drive it home. More info here

http://www.dwyb.co.uk/

Apolgise for my last post on this topic.

In reference to the original question i would argue that big and powerful would have the edge over a small and light car. Big generally means heavy, heavy proving more stable so that, once you are in the drift, it's easier to control and hold. A light can IMO would be more likely to spin right round (baby right round) than a bigger car and less likely to catch should the worse happen.

Remember you are usually not in control when you are dirfting and that the worest usually happens. Drift learning events are helded at most UK circuits...Santa Pod also offers a Drift What ya Brung event sort of like the quater mile events. You turn up in your car (attempt) to drift and if it's not broken drive it home. More info here

http://www.dwyb.co.uk/

dude WTH ?????

if you can drift then its about car controll .if you lose control or dont have controll its called a crash ???
not sure what your getting at there ..

any car that is long ie skyline is easier to drift as the weight distribution is over a greater distance meaning more controll a smaller car or lighter is harder especially if the wheels are near the corners and can become twitchy like a go cart .i personally think its about wballanceing weight to power and a good stiff chassis and controlled suspension .not really a power issue .no good having 1000 bhp if you sneeze and dab the accelerator and it trys to kill you

doesnt have to be powerful guys, i drift a stripped 2.0L carlton ( puny 122bhp) with no problems at all. new diff being welded and fitted this week which will improve things even more. some of the comments ive read on this forum have really really made me laugh, 5k budget for a decent drift car??? only stupidly big enines with lots of BHP will drift ?????etcetc

best car for drifting is the 86 toyota corolla twincam rwd
we have drifting comps over here,(not me) with big v8s 200sx skylines, the lot
what wins and looks more in control??? 1.6 twincam corolla
lethal yokes

ADMIN/MODS - why have you cut my post short? am i not allowed to express my opinions on this forum or what? am i not allowed to mention another drift forum that actually know what they are talking about? what a load os bo**ocks!!! my post wasnt abusive/offensive in any way, except to the know it alls that know sod all.
Jokes

your new coming on to this site expressing how another site knows all about drifting,
well go back there,
this is a matter of opinion site, not a get told by some mog that knows it all 1
if you read the first post properly, you will see you have a choice

members who prefer big powerful cars, do for their reasons and visa versa
members then express why they think its better, even share hints and tips

for your post to be cut short, you must have said something wrong, i dont know as i havent red it, but if it was competitive in anyway against another site, thats why

now in my opinion, you dont need 5k to have a drift car, but it helps
have you won anything with your low budgrt car??? and be honest. we dont mind if your a loser

hi prince, what is an ae86, and while were on a teaching lesson what is lol and imo??

ha ha, if carlsberg made drft cars, the drivers would be langers

( cork slang = langers) = totaled from drink or a bunch of muppetts

No i havent won anything, and i didnt claim to have! i drfit for fun, i dont compete and dont intend to until at least 2010. and will i be running a 5k car then? No i wont. a guy from another site im on (not allowed to say which obviously) WON BDC round 2 earlier in the year with his trampdrifter BMW, and that was going against 5k+ motors, including shane lynch ( boyzone fame) in his no expense spared R33 skyline...so do you need lots of money to build a decent drift car and win competitions...? i say no.
You say this forum is about people exressing their opinions, well if my opinion is that iv mostly read a load of bollo*ks, then i have every right to voice it. just as i have every right to voice that another forum has more knowledge about the subject at hand.
kinda pitiful that the admin on this forum dont let you use another forums name! scared of the competition are we??
TBH my post was probably put on the wrong thread, but after reading 5 or 6 what car/what do i need to drift etc threads i couldnt help but comment, never in 20mins have i read so many people talkin absolute rubbish like they're the font of all drifting knowledge! IMO very few people on this forum seem to have a clue. you only have to look at the driftlock homepage that says FWD cars will drift to see that!

No i havent won anything, and i didnt claim to have! i drfit for fun, i dont compete and dont intend to until at least 2010. and will i be running a 5k car then? No i wont. a guy from another site im on (not allowed to say which obviously) WON BDC round 2 earlier in the year with his trampdrifter BMW, and that was going against 5k+ motors, including shane lynch ( boyzone fame) in his no expense spared R33 skyline...so do you need lots of money to build a decent drift car and win competitions...? i say no.
You say this forum is about people exressing their opinions, well if my opinion is that iv mostly read a load of bollo*ks, then i have every right to voice it. just as i have every right to voice that another forum has more knowledge about the subject at hand.
kinda pitiful that the admin on this forum dont let you use another forums name! scared of the competition are we??
TBH my post was probably put on the wrong thread, but after reading 5 or 6 what car/what do i need to drift etc threads i couldnt help but comment, never in 20mins have i read so many people talkin absolute rubbish like they're the font of all drifting knowledge! IMO very few people on this forum seem to have a clue. you only have to look at the driftlock homepage that says FWD cars will drift to see that!

Mate whats with all the attitude? We express our opinions! Whats your problem with that? Will you be competing at D1 level drifting? If not then you don't need a 5k car. But me personally thought this post was about the best drift car in our opinion. So to me the best drift car has to be 1 from the D1 series which would cost considerably more than 5k.....My own opinion...

like i said i posted in the wrong thread, for which im sorry.
yes if were talking D1 you'd be looking at considerbly more than 5k!
just piss*d me off that admins cut down my post for sod all reason.
and if it really is a rule that you cant mention another forum, how stupid is that?! no other forum iv ever come across does that!

it was me that cut the post short as it got stuck in the moderation queue because you didnt have significant privlages to post up links.
you cant post up links to competing sites unless you are a regular supporter of this forum.

As a new member your asked to read the rules which are simply dont swear and dont bring attitude against other sites or members

the adm/mod have a job to do keeping the apperance of the site clean,if you write something disregarding the rules, they'll wipe it, simple as that

this isnt just a drift site, its a multiple topic 1, we will disagree with you in 1 post and agree with you in others, so live with it

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally find drifting as a sport to be quite pathetic and a waste of time. At least in rallying the driver is using oversteer to get round the stage as fast as possible, unlike in drifting "competitions" which doesn't seem to have any particular aim..

anyway, I guess light cars are better because they need less power from the engine to loose traction, and it has to be set up with the right kind of tyres and differential..

for rallying purposes, a classic subaru impreza would be the best.. although on tarmac, a rear wheel drive car is needed for the best spectacle.

p.s. i didn't intend to cause any offence to drift fans, just saying my thoughts

I personally find drifting as a sport to be quite pathetic and a waste of time. At least in rallying the driver is using oversteer to get round the stage as fast as possible, unlike in drifting "competitions" which doesn't seem to have any particular aim..

anyway, I guess light cars are better because they need less power from the engine to loose traction, and it has to be set up with the right kind of tyres and differential..

for rallying purposes, a classic subaru impreza would be the best.. although on tarmac, a rear wheel drive car is needed for the best spectacle.

p.s. i didn't intend to cause any offence to drift fans, just saying my thoughts

Drifting is about how sideways you can get the car. The aim is to keep one continues drift all the way to the finish. They do reach some high speeds fully sideways. It takes immense control and feel to achieve this. It's not just the car that has to be up to the job. The driver does too.

firstly, calling drifting pathetic and pointless is a surefire way to offend drifters.:mad:
secondly, as said by TN, drifting takes an IMMENSE amount of skill and practice to perfect. i know people who can drift absolute sh**boxes around corners at 85mph then pull off a perfect transition down the straight and take the next corner at the same speed. unless you have ever attempted drifting, you shouldn't make judgements on the sport. and it IS as much a part of motorsport now as rallying etc.

If i were building a drift car then i would keep it N/A so that throttle response remains totally linear. Not saying a turbo car isnt good for drifting, but i would keep it NA :bigsmile:

in my personal experience its not so much what you have under the hood, but its how you use. i have seen poeple show up to competitions with huge v8s and v10 that have been all tuned up but cant make even the simplist drifts while guys that have their moms car for the day are able so get themselves sideways quicker than anyone else.

again its not so much what you have under the hood but how you use it.

That is very true callmekrikit, a good driver can drift in pretty much anything although in the hands of a skilled drifter a higher powered car can pull longer drifts.

id say depends on the track mountains youd definitely wana go small and light but if its a track or you just set up some cones and the track is bigger than a mountain road id go for powerful and heavy

Personal favourite has got to be the S15 for the standard power, handling and look of the car, with a standard one of these you can just take it out and drift like its made for it, it might beat the AE86 but the 86 was the first real drift car, it handles so well and even though it dosnt have as much power i think thats better in a way because you perfect your drifting skills in an underpowered car and your not going to find one that can still compete with the big dogs the way an 86 can.

So what are the basic needs? If a good drifter can do it in just about anything. Then what is absolutely needed? Is a locked rear differential essential?

basic needs - a RWD car thats pretty much it. theres alot of arguements about whether or not FWD is drifting but well not get into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Australia, drifting is getting very popular. Most start off with a AE86 or S13 nissan silvia. The nissan would be my choice, cheap to buy, cheap to modify & old crappers can still be competitive against newer highly developed cars.