Best car for a taxi

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think would make the best taxi?

Before you all suggest Ferraris and the like it will need 5 seats, 4 doors, be able to cover large distances and be economical to run with lots of luggage space.

I think the Skoda Superb Diesel is pretty hard to beat as it ticks all the boxes and is a nice package. Any other cars that would compete with this as a great car to Taxi.

The Xsara Picasso did a good job for me and my family, plenty of legroom as no transmission tunnel to worry about and all three back seats were the same width and independant.

SPAD_Octavia.jpg

4 doors you say....... on evo?

LOL just kiddin, although there is an old scooby going about up here. ACE cabs they are called.

Id say a 406. They seem to have pleanty of room in the back. Or a Passat. (any one fancy setting me off by telling me a skoda is the same as a passat bring it on:mad:) :D

The old Volvo is overlooked a lot of the time. The S60 should be roomy enough. My Mam got a V70 D5 last year and that is great on fuel.

Have you seen how taxi drivers drive?

:blink: That bad huh... Same here :toung:

We got alot of Volvos goin as taxis here, and some Fords. You have a few with Mercedes, Skoda and WV's to but the best is according to my taxi-drivin friend is Volvo S80.

I'm not a Volvofan myself and would probably go for germantype cars :bigsmile:

A white Peaugeot 406 that can change into a fully tuned rallye car at a flick of switch driven by a French guy called Daniel. :amuse:

It would have to be a car which is super comfortable for the driver and passengers, a car which is cheap to run, a very low depreciation curve, and something exclusive and so smart that people walk past other cabs to get into yours, BMW 520d or Mercedes E220 CDI

If the cash Toran is a great program in its seven-seater must think cabbys xtray Dosh. Other wise go for Skoda. Because Skoda are as popular here with the drivers.

I think most people are missing the point that (in the UK - can't talk for anywhere else) taxis are often driven badly by foreign drivers and the passengers tend to be drunk (more people take a taxi home from a night out than any other place).

With that in mind, something cheap to run and buy that's reliable.

when i was a PH driver i had the following cars, all hired from company:

Mondeo saloon Aspen - Crap, half decent MPG but broke down repeatedly
Mondeo ST24 - Awesome fun to drive but as above with worse economy
Skoda Octavia 1.9SDI - Reliable, great MPG, slow as hell
Skoda octavia 1.9 TDI - Reliable, great mpg and nippy enough for a cab!
Vaux Cavalier SRI - reliable, rubbish MPG, very good fun to drive!
Vaux vectra V6 - Reliable, nice to drive, not too bad on juice surprisingly
VW passat Estate 1.9TDI 130, remapped to 155 - Favourite of the lot. lovely to drive, great MPG, loads of legroom, loads luggage space for wheelchairs/prams etc

I liked the passat so much i ended up buying it, and would probably still have it now if it wasnt for some tit in a subaru hitting it at 60mph whilst it was parked stationary outside my old flat!

People being sick used to finish the night off nicely, so long as you could actually get the £50 fine out of them! Although i once had a rather extreme case...
I had a woman once who puked in the cab, and unbeknownst to me had actually pissed herself, said she didnt have her purse and would go inside and get the money for the fare (£16) and the fine (£50). Obviously she never came back out, but, i had seen her get in with her bag, and she hadnt taken it with her when she left....
Bag was under the seat, And contained £110 in cash, a mobile phone, a chunky 9ct Gold bracelet , a solitaire diamond ring, and a DKNY watch. RESULT!

I Put a note through her door which read along the lines of:

Hello,
My name is Dean and i was your taxi driver last night. On the journey home you were sick in the back and front of my cab, and also wet yourself both in the front seat and the rear. You then left the cab to get your purse but never returned. Well i found your bag and purse, and will be holding onto them until you contact me to pay the fine for soiling my vehicle and your taxi fare.
This comes to £66, and i will also be charging you a fare when i come to collect my money, so lets call it £75 shall we.
If i do not hear from you within one week, i will be keeping the bag, and all of its contents as payment.
My number is: 07000000000
Look forward to hearing from you.

Needless to say, she was so embarrased of herself that she never contacted me, and i sold the phone, watch, bracelet and ring, then posted her purse and cards etc back through her door.
I made over £550 from one 12mile journey :)

Some will say maybe it was a cruel thing to do, but i ended up buying a new interior for the car as she had literally pissed and puked everywhere, no way in hell i coulda cleaned it and got back to work the same weekend!

Lol.

Interesting your comment about the vectra v6- contrary to what the clarkson sheep think, I also found my vectra v6s to be reliable and nice to drive.

As to vw's sdi engines, whoever approved those to be fitted to anything should be shot.

when i was a PH driver i had the following cars, all hired from company:

Mondeo saloon Aspen - Crap, half decent MPG but broke down repeatedly
Mondeo ST24 - Awesome fun to drive but as above with worse economy
Skoda Octavia 1.9SDI - Reliable, great MPG, slow as hell
Skoda octavia 1.9 TDI - Reliable, great mpg and nippy enough for a cab!
Vaux Cavalier SRI - reliable, rubbish MPG, very good fun to drive!
Vaux vectra V6 - Reliable, nice to drive, not too bad on juice surprisingly
VW passat Estate 1.9TDI 130, remapped to 155 - Favourite of the lot. lovely to drive, great MPG, loads of legroom, loads luggage space for wheelchairs/prams etc

I liked the passat so much i ended up buying it, and would probably still have it now if it wasnt for some tit in a subaru hitting it at 60mph whilst it was parked stationary outside my old flat!

People being sick used to finish the night off nicely, so long as you could actually get the £50 fine out of them! Although i once had a rather extreme case...
I had a woman once who puked in the cab, and unbeknownst to me had actually pissed herself, said she didnt have her purse and would go inside and get the money for the fare (£16) and the fine (£50). Obviously she never came back out, but, i had seen her get in with her bag, and she hadnt taken it with her when she left....
Bag was under the seat, And contained £110 in cash, a mobile phone, a chunky 9ct Gold bracelet , a solitaire diamond ring, and a DKNY watch. RESULT!

I Put a note through her door which read along the lines of:

Hello,
My name is Dean and i was your taxi driver last night. On the journey home you were sick in the back and front of my cab, and also wet yourself both in the front seat and the rear. You then left the cab to get your purse but never returned. Well i found your bag and purse, and will be holding onto them until you contact me to pay the fine for soiling my vehicle and your taxi fare.
This comes to £66, and i will also be charging you a fare when i come to collect my money, so lets call it £75 shall we.
If i do not hear from you within one week, i will be keeping the bag, and all of its contents as payment.
My number is: 07000000000
Look forward to hearing from you.

Needless to say, she was so embarrased of herself that she never contacted me, and i sold the phone, watch, bracelet and ring, then posted her purse and cards etc back through her door.
I made over £550 from one 12mile journey :)

Some will say maybe it was a cruel thing to do, but i ended up buying a new interior for the car as she had literally pissed and puked everywhere, no way in hell i coulda cleaned it and got back to work the same weekend!

l

Lol.

Interesting your comment about the vectra v6- contrary to what the clarkson sheep think, I also found my vectra v6s to be reliable and nice to drive.

As to vw's sdi engines, whoever approved those to be fitted to anything should be shot.

I Have the Saab 9.5 (Which is a Vectra)and can't stand driving it, just not fluid at all unlike my Mondeo, even my vw 1982 camper seems more confident in the bendy bits.

Skoda Superb is a nice buy for a taxi but Skodas have a very high maintenance costs which may not be good in the long run.

You have led a very interesting life Pikey! :D I like your style.

true but very rarely does anything big go wrong with them since they fall under VAG

NO NO NO!!! Why does everyone keep saying this??

1 - The inteerior falls to bits. Everthing rattles, bits fall off. Cheep finnish. Remind me of American cars

2 - The flywheels are a KNOWN fault after about 60-70k miles.

3 - Doesn't matter who has owned one. Or how many miles they have done, after a few years (3+) they look old and tired.

4 - I have never heard a Skoda's engine sound good after a few years.

I know they fall under VAG, but Fiat fall under Ferrari. Does that mean you get Ferrari build quality on your Fiat?

Sorry PG, I agree with you on countless things, but this is not going to be one of them! :p

right all the skoda engines are the same across the group.
my engine is in the VRS, audi TT and seat cupra R.
gearboxes and flywheels are the same as well
alot of the interior as the same as well

Yeah the buttons and trip computers and the little things like that are, but the fittings and the ''build quality'' is different. I have never known a Passat or a A4 to rattle. Yet, I have never been in a Skoda that hasn't rattled.

jump in mines or the wifes golf and youll hear the rattles with the music off
I so rarely have the music off or even lowered that every sound the car gives of makes me jump :p
That's why you never! have the music turned off, ever!! :bigsmile::bigsmile:

An A4 2.0T Fsi Quattro Avant....Safe, Fast, Practical. Grampian police have got one of these! Suddenly it makes me want an audi.

C'mon, you know BBJ has an anti-Skoda bias a mile wide.

I suspect it may be to do with Skoda's sucesses in rallying ;)

A JDM SI 2.2L VTEC Honda Prelude!!

Room in the back for one...at a stretch!

Space in the boot for luggage...under 3kilos

Guaranteed to get you home on time & in style.

Fast, Fun, Agile & Good looking. All the things I would look for in a taxi. If I ever used one.

A JDM SI 2.2L VTEC Honda Prelude!!

Room in the back for one...at a stretch!

Space in the boot for luggage...under 3kilos

Guaranteed to get you home on time & in style.

Fast, Fun, Agile & Good looking. All the things I would look for in a taxi. If I ever used one.

I like your style! Never give up hope!! :blink1::bigsmile: