Beginner tuner

ryanenglish

Car
MG ZR 105
Hi, I am 17 and only starting out with cars. I have basic engine and car knowledge but i want to start a project to help me learn more. I am thinking of buying a MG ZR 105 and tuning that up as much as i can. I know a car that small (only 1.4) will never have massive Bhp and Torque figures this is purely to learn more about tuning cars. I was wondering if the Mg would be a good car to buy or if there is a much better option ? I also would like to know what kind of mods i could do engine wise. I know an engine swap would be the best option for more power but i want to stick with the 1.4 and just tune that.

Welcome to TorqueCars :bigsmile:

The 105 is not a bad choice for a first car, the 120 would be a better platform. However have a look through this website http://www.dvapower.co.uk/ Dave Andrews knows all you need on what to do for the k-series engine. It's pretty comprehensive so take your time reading through the information.

Hello and welcome to the nuthouse mate ;)

while your still at the looking stage, make sure you keep an eye on insurance. its bad enough at 17 on a standard car let alone a modified one.

just watch the usual with the k series engines and make sure the head gasket has been done

Howdo, you've chosen a good base car as despite the ill-informed the Zs are very good handling cars and its a little different than the standard Corsa that your mates will have. I'm guessing the insurance on a 120 would be mental at age 17. Plus noone rates Zs so they are cheap as chips to buy. Cos its a Z you wouldn't actually need to do much if anything to brakes and suspension, but a big brake kit behind some different alloys would look good and be good practice.

Stick a bmc cda on with a cold air feed from the front grille or foglight hole and it'll make the engine rev better and might give you a few more horses. Plus if its done right it looks good under the bonnet

Last edited:
Thanks for the help people. I know the insurance on the car will be mental so i am planning on just tunning the zr 105 for a year or so while i drive a crap hyundai atoz around :( Not the nicest car in the world but as soon as i can afford insurance on the mg i will be straight on the road in that

I have had 3 MG Zr's, 2 1.4 16v and 1 2.0L Turbo diesel
Basically in a nut shell the 1.4 16v K series is factory tuned to the max right out of the factory with its 105 bhp. Fitting an open cone airfilter will give the engine a lovely growl and make it sound faster but you will lose a few horses due to heat soak.
What ever you do, do not cut out the catalic converter as these engines like there backpressure.
If you add a back box the best one to add is one with a nice oval tip as they suite these cars the best.
In regards to engines if you want to go down that route you could fit a
1.6 k series has 110bhp with alot better torque than the 1.4... This can easily be done with the 1.4 ecu and a remap
1.8 k series has 120bhp this can also easily be done with the change of the engine ecu and 5au unit
But if you want to go all out then you can fit a 1.8vvc 160bhp or a T series 2 litre turbo with 200bhp.

Hey thanks for all the advice people. Have finally got myself 2002 1.4 Zr and i love it. Have done some minor work to it so far. All styling work nothing mechanical yet. Any advice welcome

MG4.jpg

Mg.jpg

MG3.jpg

MG5.jpg

MG2.jpg

Your post got stuck in the moderation queue as you require 10 posts before you can upload pics or links. I've approved it for you this time mate.;)
Have a wander round an you'll soon hit 10. :)

Car looks smart BTW. :)

Lucky lad! I am still trying to pass my theory! Been doing it for a year and a half! I have ofen thought about getting the MG ZR 1.4, but I now have a 306 D turbo and wouldn't swap it for anything. There are rarly a few examples of decent MG's as all the chavs use them and 'rice' them up... Make this one special my friend!

Cheers mate. Im sure you will fly through the theory test next time man. Heard the 306 D turbos are a sweet car too.

Yeah thinking of changing the exhaust to something a bit smaller. Looking at a varex muffler so i can change the sound level so as not to attract to much attention during the the day but still have that performance edge. Then next thing is to put in some coilovers. Want to change the tail lights as well

Nice car mate. Definitely needs lowering imo. As you said, coilies will do the job but next comes the choice of which ones! I would leave the lights OEM.

Nice car mate. Definitely needs lowering imo. As you said, coilies will do the job but next comes the choice of which ones! I would leave the lights OEM.

Yeah iv'e heard good reviews of avo coilovers for this car. Can give me up to 50mm + drop, dont think i want to go that low though prob set it to 40. As for the lights definitely leaving the front stock, I think the taillights i think are to clear so its either smoke them or get aftermarket LED ones.

Also planning a rear brake disk conversion :)

Yeah iv'e heard good reviews of avo coilovers for this car. Can give me up to 50mm + drop, dont think i want to go that low though prob set it to 40. As for the lights definitely leaving the front stock, I think the taillights i think are to clear so its either smoke them or get aftermarket LED ones.

Also planning a rear brake disk conversion :)

Try not to think of an exact drop. Just measure until you're happy and remember it'll probably drop another 10mm once the springs settle. First thing to test is full lock.

If you have to, I'd go with smoke them. Aftermarket lights tend to be poo.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back