basic tuning

weeman200482

just need a bit of advice on how to give my car a bit of a tune up.

i ahve just purchased a vauxhall vectra 1800cc. nothing has been done to improve any aspect of it yet.

i'm not looking for any silly power gains (i think mine is only about 110bhp)

the thing i would like though (you'll have to excuse me for being a bit ignorant, this is my first time) how do i make my car sound better i.e nice sound when accelerating. would it be the exhaust or air intake.

also has anyone any other suggestions as to what i could do to juice it up a bit.

cheers

weeman

Hi weeman200482. The intake would give you a nice roar sound if you added an induction kit but I don't think that would give you much power. A sports exhaust always sounds good. The wider the tailpipe the deeper the sound. Within a week of being here you'll have created a flame spitting monster! :twisted:

cheers for the advice,

i added an air intake to my old astra and did notice a marginal difference in the sound when i pulled away.

just out of interest, i pass a lot of modded cars that have a loud groan when they accelerate, as if they have a larger engines installed in their cars. what can i do to achieve somehting like this. even on motorways i can hear them pass.

any ideas

weeman

HI weeman200482. Welcome to the site. A good induction kit placed near the front of the engine bay with a cold air feed pipe will give that throaty roar. (For a sample nick a pair of tights from your other half, or use a spare pair of your own weekend tights! Take off the air filter housing and replace with the tights wrapped round firmly so they don't get sucked into the air sensor or throttle body etc... This will let you hear the pure induction sound and see what the effect is on performance. - Enjoy.)

PS: Green tights with a red car does not go - so make sure you go for a neutral colour :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for the advice, i think i'll go with the induction kit.

is k & n thew better option, i don't know much about pipercross

weeman

K&N is generally the most popular and expensive but I personally don't think there is much in it. You must get a cold air feed pipe though or at least make sure it is near the front of the engine bay.

ive got the roar on my car, but think its mostly the exhaust. when i brought the car standard, wayne is right, the tights idea really works!!

Make sure that if you are making the engine suck in more air than normal that you make the pressure right on your exhaust as the different pressures through the system can cause the car to lose power rather than gain. When I first put my K&N on my V6, I only had the back box at the time it basically kileed the engine over 3500revs. I even got over took by a stupid bloddy 1.3 106 rallye which really did my head in. But when I completed the exhaust system (£1200 later) I gained a nice respectable 19bhp just from the filter and exhaust. Oh if you are wondering why my system cost so much is cuz every part of the system is chromed stainless steel and 100% custom made to my spcifications.

So aslong as you do it right it will not only sound evil it will also go a bit better aswell.

Cheers, BAD63R

Well you can imagine what mine is like with gas flowed inlet sections, air filter and overal enlarged completely straight through exhgaust sounds like on a V6 lol. I'm 12 decibels over the legal limit, and for those that know how decibels work will know that is very loud.

In the 4 sound off comps. i've entered i've come 1st once, 2nd twice and runner up lol.

no you can enter ones for car volume aswell. you tend to get more of ya gas flowed head type of cars lol.