Ban young drivers at night

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Apparently researchers have found that a large proportion of accidents happen by young drivers at night and young drivers with friends in the car.

They propose that young (17-24 year old) drivers are banned from driving at night and from travelling with other young people in the car.

Does this make sense? Is it fair? What is the real problem here they need to address?

tricky subject this waynne. what if a young driver works nights. what can they do to stop it ? tell the driver to change his job ?? how they going to inforce it without putting more costs on taxpayer when they are already cutting forces down as it is ?
not fair, not enforceable and just a basic infringement on young peoples rights. its down to the driver to take responsibility for his actions. if someone gets hurt or worse, they pay the price for it, whether it be jail or fine and bans.

Its not the age of the driver it depends on the person.Really they should limit engine size for example 17-22 1L or less age 22-25 1.4L then you can drive any car so parents cant buy thier 17 year old a 2L fiesta or people who have money as they dont have much experince in a fast car.

But it doesn't matter about the size of the engine either.
Most cars can do 100mph anyway.
I think there should be a speed limter in place until you have so many years claim free driving under your belt. Or something along those lines.

a lot of it is to do with showing off in front of their friends, so a ban on carrying young passangers after, say, 10pm might work, If a youngster needs his car for work at night, he could get some sort of exemption form from his employers.

unenforcable and plain stupid.

Im 21, and live in a rural area, if i cant drive home at night ill have to quit work and not return for another 3 years with this idea.

and how economical to not allow lift sharing.

this ban would be folly, most youth driver crashes i see are due to drunkenness, and late night attempts at streetracing and drifting. the problem lies with the attitude not the amount of daylight.

the people responsible for causing this should not be on the road at all, it has become more noticable due to (believe it or not) students and youths are more wealthy relative to say 20 years ago, so more people are able to gain acces to a vehicle, there should be a more stringent test coupled with a psycological profile to keep licences out of the hands of those unfit to drive.

this proposal tars all the young with the same brush, come october ill have four years no claims with a pristine licence. dont see why i should be banned.

yeah ban them all from the roads at night, lol i dont understand im always cautious about my speed at night time, because i swear the old bill sit down street corners at night waiting for the swoooosh of a car to go by, and anyway pigs sleep during the day. so guys no speeding at night time lol

accidents happen all the time, they only want to do that so insurance companies can have a nice fat bonus for christmas, because they've halfed there pay outs by banning driving at night. so what happens at new years eve, everyone who has as party has to have 50 people bunk up over night because there not aloud home.

Yeah, ban them at night, what a great idea......NOT!

How many police do you see in a day? 5 at most. At night on normal roads???? None! To inforce this rule would mean imploying around 40,000 extra pigs. Oh hold on, isn't that the same number what they are just about to cut??

I'm not a fan of traffic cops. And seeing the roads full of them pish me off.

There has been comments of restricting the engine size/speed. This works well on bikes (33bhp) but would not work with cars. As a 33bhp bike is still quite fast (due to weight), doing this in a car would make it dagerous. Slow car + young driver who wants to learn to overtake = accident.

The only way I can see of improving the system is :- Upon passing test, you must drive with a big metal spike in the stearing wheel, so if you crash, you are buggered. After two years of safe driving, this is removed and replaced with an air bag. You see how many young drivers crash then!!! :D

I note that night driving is still not part of the test. Perhaps this should be simulated in the daytime with learner drivers doing a 10 minute section of their test with their eyes closed?

I note that night driving is still not part of the test. Perhaps this should be simulated in the daytime with learner drivers doing a 10 minute section of their test with their eyes closed?

Good idea. It's no more barking than forbidding new drivers from driving after dark.

What a load of cobblers. Why we keep picking on young drivers is beyond me. There are plenty of drivers who consider themselves experienced but are actually very poor drivers.

I dont think there is ANY way of stopping stupid drivers from causing accidents, other than making THEM realise how dangerous what they are doing is.

I was in the army when i learnt to drive...within the space of about 6months i passed my test, then immediately did a car and trailer test.then a month later i was doing the german polizei's advanced driving course, i also did a pursuit driving course, an escape and evasion driving course, and a further defensive driving course.

And do you know what? i still smashed my first car up!

Why? because i thought that with all those courses and training, i would come to no harm driving at 100+mph through back roads i didnt know.....WRONG!

Its all down to the drivers attitude, and unfortunately there is no feasable economical way to measure each drivers attitude and enforce restrictions accordingly.

Now, i am not saying that i dont drive fast, or take corners on the limit, or have the occasional top speed run, we all do that at some time or other to a certain extent. What i do have however, is a much greater understanding of teh dangers of doing so, and a much better ability to read road conditions, other drivers behaviours etc, and i will only push the car when i KNOW it is as safe to do so as possible.

What we need to do is to know and understand our own limits, as well as our vehicles, and to be much more selective as to when and how we push cars to the limit.

i dont think there is any way of stopping stupid drivers from causing accidents, other than making them realise how dangerous what they are doing is.

I was in the army when i learnt to drive...within the space of about 6months i passed my test, then immediately did a car and trailer test.then a month later i was doing the german polizei's advanced driving course, i also did a pursuit driving course, an escape and evasion driving course, and a further defensive driving course.

And do you know what? I still smashed my first car up!

Why? Because i thought that with all those courses and training, i would come to no harm driving at 100+mph through back roads i didnt know.....wrong!

Its all down to the drivers attitude, and unfortunately there is no feasable economical way to measure each drivers attitude and enforce restrictions accordingly.

Now, i am not saying that i dont drive fast, or take corners on the limit, or have the occasional top speed run, we all do that at some time or other to a certain extent. What i do have however, is a much greater understanding of teh dangers of doing so, and a much better ability to read road conditions, other drivers behaviours etc, and i will only push the car when i know it is as safe to do so as possible.

What we need to do is to know and understand our own limits, as well as our vehicles, and to be much more selective as to when and how we push cars to the limit.

well said pikey motorsport

The only way I can see of improving the system is :- Upon passing test, you must drive with a big metal spike in the stearing wheel, so if you crash, you are buggered. After two years of safe driving, this is removed and replaced with an air bag. You see how many young drivers crash then!!! :D

I had my crash in the Alfa after three years of driving (in the daytime, I might add). Apart from that I've never so much as scraped another car in a car park or even curbed an alloy! Sometimes accidents just happen :sad2:

Tbh though it is unenforcable. I know I'd carry on driving at night if the ban came into place. Remember kids, just because it's the law doesn't make it right :cheesy:

You could try all sorts of things to make driving safe. The bottom line is, driving isn't safe. Like MasrerAuron said, there will always be accidents. Young and new drivers pay enough at that age.

Average earnings for a 17 yo these days?? About 16-18K a year. Thats about £1000 after tax a month. Out of that, to get driving on the road they have to pay for:-
Previsinal licence - £40
Driving lessons - £25 each. (average total of 20 lessons = £500)
Theory - £25
Driving test - £70
First Car - £??????
Tax - £35 - £400
MOT - £30
Service - £50
Insurance - £1500 - £2500

I mean, if you had just spent all that money, time and effort, and you were told your car had a bed time, you would be pished off!!

I dont think there is ANY way of stopping stupid drivers from causing accidents, other than making THEM realise how dangerous what they are doing is.

And do you know what? i still smashed my first car up!

Why? because i thought that with all those courses and training, i would come to no harm driving at 100+mph through back roads i didnt know.....WRONG!

Now, i am not saying that i dont drive fast, or take corners on the limit, or have the occasional top speed run, we all do that at some time or other to a certain extent. What i do have however, is a much greater understanding of teh dangers of doing so, and a much better ability to read road conditions, other drivers behaviours etc, and i will only push the car when i KNOW it is as safe to do so as possible.

well said pikey !!!!!!!