Baleno knocking noise

Carpiquet

Car
Susuki Baleno GLX
Sorry to moan in my first post on the site.
Actually the noise is more of a dull sound.
It seems to be coming from under the O.S. of the dash.
Adjusting the steering rake does cause it to alter a bit !

It has been determined at the garage that it is definately not streering/suspension related although it is obviously motion related, happening when rough, or pot-holed surfaces are driven on.
Has anybody got any suggestions to what might be under the dash that would cause this most annoying donking ?
Being disabled, I am not keen on looking without a pointer :bigsmile::bigsmile:
Apart from that, I have to say that although I bought it to transport my mother around, it has turned out to be a terrific car to drive/own.

Mike.

Just been thinking about this, could it be chassis flex? (Does it happen on hills, bends and adverse camber at slow speeds?) A front strut brace would fix it if it is this.

Def' not chassis flex. In fact the car is very solid and does not groan when coming off my drive, my other cars do !
No, it something/two compnents close together that touch when a certain frequency of vibration is present or suspension movement on the front happens.
As the shocks and steering have been passed A1 at the garage it only leaves an internal problem.
Car not running at the moment as the battery died. I suspect a faulty drivers door window motor problem. However, after a charge for a day, the car still did not want to start, when it would not do so after another battery had been charged it was found the charger was naff. So just been and got another one, so will refit tomorrow and run some tests on the electrics with the engine running.
Once sorted, will return to tracing the elusive knocking noise.
Pity it cropped up at all as I have to consider selling it shortly.

Mike.

Is it a knocking noise when you go over a bumpy surface? I've had problems like this with these cars and others. It maybe the roll bar linkage that bolts to the wishbone, sometimes the rubber wears and it ends up a dull knocking noise when you go over bumps... when its jacked up you will only hear it if you hit it top of the rollbar on the O/S quite hard with an open hand, holding it and pulling it wont do anything.

The knocking did happen when going over minor bumps/uneven surface etc.
I am now sure the wheels being so far out of track had put a lot of undue pressure on the OS drop arm and had worn/strained it.
The sudden excess movement in it that ensued when the wheel moved over bumps appears to have wrenched the anti roll bar suddenly, causing the rubber mounting on the cross member to compress, allowing the bar to just touch the cross member near the OS rubber, so making the slight knocking noise.
It is worth noting that there is no indication on the cross member that this was happening !!!! And, that the ARB rubbers on the cross member are intact.

I was convinced the sound came from inside the dashboard, so was fooled into looking in that area.

Apart from the drop arm linkage, there is no damage, and now the tracking has been done, all is sweet as a nut.
Serves me right for not following my instinct regarding the tracking sooner !

Mike.

i had a suzuki baleno, i loved my little hatch do you find that the knocking noise happens the warmer the engine is?? stupid question i no! but what sounds like just a steering related problem could be your gearbox is it intimitent? and when it happens dip thhe clucth find out if it stops! message back i had a few things replaced on mine. or the track rod arms are prone to wear exccesivley. hope this can be of some help? but definatly look into the gearbox situation they do have a common fault!

Not sure why you have not seen my previous entry, but it was due to the tracking being way out !
This had caused wear on the OS drop link from the ARB, this allowed sudden movement of the bar, which then just touched the cross member, causing the knocking.
There was no visual indication at the place of contact as it was so minimal ! I assume the sound passed up through the chassis, fooling me that the problem was under the dash.

Gearbox super, goes like a rocket but gets great MPG, painwork very good apart from two small areas. Very comfortable drive and being an estate very useful. It has a tow bar, although I have not used it, and as the clutch is A1, has possibly never, or only slightly been used. All in all, very presentable.
Even after having sorted the noise out, I am afraid I have to sell it.
I shall be sad to see it go though.

Mike

i had a hatch it was a youngsters first car lol probably got shagged the 70 k miles of its life before i had it was good then everythink went wrong all in one go got rid of mine! to the scrap man! lol hey hope win some n loose some! sorr i missed ur previous comment haha glad its sorted!

hey
didnt want to open new theme
my problem is that my horn doesnt working....it worked when i got my Baleno 96 but it was really bad...just strugling to make any noise but now it doesnt do any thing more...
any one have the same problem?

thank u

hello from Slovenia

hey
didnt want to open new theme
my problem is that my horn doesnt working....it worked when i got my Baleno 96 but it was really bad...just strugling to make any noise but now it doesnt do any thing more...
any one have the same problem?

thank u

hello from Slovenia

One of 4 Things:

1. The ground has shaken loose, so the connection is not being completed properly, hence the whimper from the horn. clean and tighten the connections.

2. Is the battery fully charged?......

3. The horn relay is shot, if you have such a relay. Take a continuity tester,(a simple wire with a 12volt bulb in series) and connect one end to the connector on the relay that says horn or simply "H" and the other to +ve terminal and then the terminal of the battery (depends on the wiring of the car) and see if the bulb lights up when the horn button is pressed.

If the bulb does light up, you can rule that out as the probable cause.

4. The point on the horn has worn down. take the horn off the anchor and see if that can be adjusted. You will find a big check nut 14-16 mm in size and it will have a small screw head in the center.

Losen this check nut and with the horn depressed, turn the screw first one way, then the other till you get a sound and adjust the sound as per your liking.

If you get no sound at all, its time you went shopping for a new horn.

Now if you have twin horns, then the cause could be an incomplete wiring or horn relay, or even the battery but it is highly improbable that both the horns would give out together.

But, as you mentioned that there was a whimper from the horn initially and then it stooped working altogether.

So in that case, it is possible that you may need to buy a new horn.

thank u for this solutions...
i ll try to do these things when ill have some time :)

anybody know some inernet shop with sport parts for baleno...like sport exhoust?