Badly Repaired Stone Chip

Hi All,

Firstly, I apologise if this has been asked before, if so can you point me in the right direction?

I have recently bought a new car (2012 MiTo QV) I recently noticed that a previous owner must of got a great big chip on the bonnet and tried to fix it. But looking at it, I feel they must of done it with their eyes closed or let a 5 year old do it. It is just terrible. The fact I have now noticed it, I now can't stop seeing it. It looks like they used to much touch up and it actually ran out of the chip and bubbled just below it.

Do you have any advice, hints or tips on how I can possible remove the crap touch up and re do it better.

Cheers

Lindsay

Wet a dry paper, very fine grip and use a tiny sanding block to avoid damaging the surrounding paint. As long as there is a colour match it will be virtually invisible after this treatment. The paint is fairly thin so don't be overzealous when sanding the last bits, or you'll end up with faded patches.

Most metallic paints have a clear lacquer on the top, most touch up efforts miss this out and try to match up by using the "GOB LOADS OF PAINT IN" method.

Thanks obi_waynne, really appreciate your reply. When it comes to the wet dry paper what grit would you recommend?

As fine as you can get. I often start around a 1000 and go to a 2000 or finer for the final bit. If there is a lot of work then you need a more course grit, if it's the finish you are after then the finer the better. And using it wet does improve the finish considerably!

You can often mask the area around the chip for the early sanding stages to protect the paint and help you get the technique down!

Last edited:
As fine as you can get. I often start around a 1000 and go to a 2000 or finer for the final bit. If there is a lot of work then you need a more course grit, if it's the finish you are after then the finer the better. And using it wet does improve the finish considerably!

You can often mask the area around the chip for the early sanding stages to protect the paint and help you get the technique down!
excellent, thanks for the advice

Did you get a chance to sort this issue out? How did it go? Any tips to pass on?

@thexa hi mate, I have literally just done it yesterday and was going to post some before and after pics but can't seem to figure out how to upload them.
I feel they turned out very well, excellent advice from @obi_waynne. One thing I would advise to you is to go very carefully and make sure you are only working on the area required.

There was one on my bonnet I did that ended up just being a chunk of clear coat missing and just had a blob of touch up paint over it, so unfortunately once I had got rid of the offending paint I could begin to see either the primer or metal coming through very slightly. Not to much of an issue as I am going to get some proper paint for it and cover it up.

Hopefully I will figure out how to upload my pics so you can see the before and after.

Pics would be good - thanks for updating us.

You'll need to pass the 10 posts limit to be upgraded to post pics we had to do that to prevent abuse.

The welcome section is a great way to rack up your post count.

Then you'll have an attach files option under your reply box.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back