back spoiler for 75

Spoiler design is a science in itself - adjustable spoilers are best as you can alter them to get the perfect amount of downforce. Most spoilers though are just for cosmetic appearance. I'll see if I can get some pointers together for you on areodynamic spoiler design.

Nice one. I did try to learn the physics involved in spoiler design once.It twisted my melon bigtime. To work out the perfect profile for the spoiler you need to take the weight power and existing earodynamics of the car into consideration so you gain the correct amount of down force without giving yourself too much drag. Goodluck with it though and keep us posted with how you get on.

thanks fingers :wink:

and waynne , it would be nice to get some pointers together on areodynamic spoiler design.

thanks

ps : what about homologation? is it needed?
ps 2 : what material should it be done? i think in one of 3, fiber glass, aluminium and carbon

Some real basics. A spoiler is basically an upside down aeroplane wing. ON a plane it gives lift pulling it up into the sky. On a car you need it to push down to give better grip on the road. Fast moving air creates pull - hold 2 pieces of paper in your hand hanging down parallel to each other with a gap of between 2cm - 5cm between them, blow between the gap and you will notice that the paper pulls together instead of pulling apart! :shock:

Remember that when you create downforce at the rear, the front of the car will tend to lift a little. To create faster moving air under the spoiler you need to have a larger surface area underneath - the air travels further and therefore faster. A spoiler will also create drag, generally speaking the more downforce it creates the more drag there will be.

Vertical struts aid straight line stability. Aluminium is light and easy to work with - fibreglass is hard to mould properly and takes a while to get a smoooth finish. Carbon fibre is the best material but this is very hard to mould so you would really look at getting a factory finished carbon fibre bonnet.

A very general initial setup guide - a spoler with 2 cut angles will give a good amount of downforce, the front fin being at around 20-25 degrees and the rear fin starting slightly below this at an angle of 35-40 degrees.

More soon!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back