Back in a mk2 Golf at last!

right, after i well and truly killed the trampdrift carlton, was time to find something kind of practical, whilst still keeping a smile on my face....
so i got this....
and ended up in profit! long story! lol

MK2 Golf 1.8 8v Driver

ENGINE:
186k (just bedded in! lol)
Full top end rebuild 2k ago
GTI manifold
Full stainless exhaust
Weber Carb
10mm quad core HT leads
Bosch super 4 plugs
K&N panel filter

EXTERIOR:
Semi Rare Montana Green
15" OZ Polaris alloys - Temp wheels until i have enough spare cash for a nice dishy set
Lowered 80mm at front, 60mm at rear (sits Level)
De-badged single light grille
Crystal clear headlamps with Xenon bulbs
Half smoked rear clusters
Green side repeaters and bumper indicators

ICE:

Pioneer Headunit
Phillips graphic equaliser
Sony 6x9's
Infinity fronts
600W Le-son amp (got it in a job lot, and performs better than my old 800W!)
10" mutant sub

sounds very very good indeed, my headunit has an extremely good graphic equaliser, with the added graphic to tweak things even more i can set it perfectly to just how i want it.

PLANS:

Ported and polished GTI head with bigger exhaust valves, Lairy Newman cam, GTI dizzy, 2.0L bottom end from MK3 gti.
Dishy wheels
MK3 VR6 interior
Strut braces front and rear

anyhow, let the pics do the talking.....

Photo0034.jpg

Photo0007-1.jpg

LGIM0001.jpg

oh, an this is the reason i needed something practical....

Photo0020.jpg
:bigsmile:

That looks very clean. That was a nice buy. Are you going to do much to it (most of the mods look like they have been done.)

(Congrats on the new Baby. How old? When where weight etc...)

cheers mate i've always loved how mk2's look, so as far as body mods go i wont be doing much at all. the engine is more my thing, it will keep up with an 8v GTI just about (smokes 2L 16v lagunas and mk4 gti's to about 70 lol) when iv finished it will be much more lively.

Oscar was born on 27/03 weighed 8lb 10oz, now weighs 12lb 2oz and is doin really well.

What you need to do is something subtle like this http://www.carstylingtips.com/288-mk2-vw-golf-vr6/ !

I bet you are still suffering from sleepless nights, whining and damp patches. Replacing the pipes on the Mk2 will stop the leaks, a fresh change of oil can help with the whines and you will soon be over the excitement of your new car and be able to sleep. :lol:

LOL very good! luckily for me she has no leaks or whines! in fact the only thing i want to do when i put the new head in is strip, rebuild and re prime the tappets,dont want noisy tappets ruining my silent engine now do i! thats right, 185k on the clock and she purrs like a kitten, no noises at all!

and as for that ABOMINATION.....NO NO NO NO NO!!!! half of the negative comments are guys i know on vwmk2, and i agree with every one of them. that is the most hideous mk2 i have ever seen! if i ever met the bloke who did it, id probably slap him! lol

Of course. There is a really good comment that appeared recently on carstylingtips mk2 golf!

Mk2 golf - £1000
Alloy Wheels - £800
Box of modificatios from halfords discount bin- £15,000

good taste……..priceless

there are some things that money cant buy, for everything else there is Finance

Last edited:
update - the Gti manifold thats on her atm is cracked, so went out an bought myself a new Gti manifold and also a Gti head and cam. its all in great condition, but is going off for a full rebuild, and a good porting and polishing session. unfortunately not gonna get it back til mid july as the guys off on holiday, but will be worth the wait!
also found a 2E bottom end to use in the conversion, decided on one out of an old passat estate, as its MUCH less likely to have been ragged than a golf gti block! bores will be getting a rehone, new piston rings,bearings etc just to make sure its as perfect as it can be. thinking of possibly having them bored out to 2.1/2.2......
by end of july i should have some build pics, and once iv set everythin up on the rollin road il get a power figure too, lookin for around 135 - 140 BHP and same again for torque.although could be a bit more once i fit a 288 cam and bike carbs.....lol

update time...

engine mods have had to be set into stages for time being as had few financial problems pop up - bloody credit crunch!! lol

she now running gti head, manifold downpipe,cam and the more aggressive kjet dizzy.

smokes 8v gti's now, which is nice!

have also gone down the OEM+ route with her and gone two tone....

P1207_12-07-09.jpg

P150401_09-07-09.jpg

wheels getting spaced out 20mm all round tonight to bring the offset down to ET18.

also had new Boge Turbo suspension all round and upgraded front discs to GTI items.

so she now accelerates, handles and brakes very very well indeed :)

How did the wheel spacing go? I bet it handles even better now!

The car is looking good, well worth the effort.

plastics are a pain in the ass!!! B2B never works for more than a week, and the gels and wax's are good for a max of a month. heatgun dont work on these bumpers for some reason! have some plastic dye on order, that should sort em!

heres a new pic with badged grille and cups:

P1957_20-07-09.jpg

wheels being refurbed soon as they have some lacquer worm. and have few goodies going on soon.....

Wheels need to be polished imo! But they do look good.

I didn't actually mean the product back to black (as I know it's sheeeeite and don't last more than 28.6 seconds), just meant you need to get them back to black. Could always get a quote to get them sprayed I suppose?

Really nice mate, there is a similar Golf near where I live, its in a bright orange colour (not to keen on it myself). Buts its great condition, with nice rims and tyres.

cheers guys :)

wheels are being refurbed (by me) in next few weeks when i have the time. the dishes will be mirror polished, and centres will be black with some subtle green (same as car) details.

more small bits an bobs being added/removed all the time, so will keep you all updated as and when i get chance :)

sold, and bought new project, decided against vr6 as too heavy and steering will be non existant, just bought a 2.0 16v lump currently running 148bhp, also bought a set of twin 40's. few tweaks and the 40s on should get me 165/170bhp. thread will go up soon :)