Away a while ....

Fabia17

Torque Junkie
Car
Fabia Monte Carlo
Hello peoples, I hope you all had a splendid Christmas and New year, sorry I wasn't here but I have not been very well, or sociable as a result.

I have continued to do bits and pieces on the Fabia Monte Carlo Estate, with the 17" wheels making their debut fitted with Michelin Cross Climate Plus Tyres.

Because Cross Climates only come in limited sizes... God knows why? I squeezed a set of 215 45 17 under the wings.... Hmmm, running with Mrs Bates on board lumps and bumps proved... Well rasping and grating....

I had ordered my BC Racing coilovers too which were being built up. So I started to panic. I began talking to the boys who roll and flare arches but none were very forthcoming especially as the rear arches are double skinned.

I thought about fitting arch extensions and the like but the sheer amount of work required is high, and I no longer have the facilities to do the work myself, so must Foster it all out.... Seriously Expensive.... And could I find a willing party? Nope!

My Coilovers arrived immediately before Christmas and I opened the box. Omg what a work of art. Akin to something you sit in a cabinet to look at whilst listening Ravel and sipping fine whisky. It seemed a shame they would disappear under the car and would rarely be seen again.

I had my local racing workshop fit them, Dennis Vassey, Barnetby Le Wold, all set up, corner weighted, the lot, but now just showing the car a minor undulation would start the tires scrawking the wings.

This week, has seen me swapping the 17s out for the original 16s.

I order a set of Michelin Pilot 4s in 17 inch..... Well I thought so. I turned up to the garage, Dack Motor Group, Lincoln, for the big change over, only for the cheif mechanic to come through and inform me, I had order 18 inch tires... Really... Yes really....i could not stuffing believe it. I laughed and left. Got onto Black Circle Tires, where I get all my rubber from and sorted out the embarrassing situation.

I now have the 17 inchers on the way, and Friday the new 215 40 17 will grace the car, and these being the same rolling circumference as the 16 inch tires, we should be sorted, and normal running resumed.

Then it's, change out the rear springs, bit soft and sqatty. Some adjustable front arb links to remove the bias, at camber bush set from Powerflex, and we'll see how it handles.

Cobra exhausts over at Sheffield have offered to build me a custom exhaust because there are no off the shelf units. So that's an early spring job.

No body does anything performance for the poor forlorn 1.2tsi, and it's a banging little engine. I have great fun with it...
So more to come this year.
Shame, can't post pics? Have fun and stay safe.

Welcome back, sorry to hear about your woes.

Couldn't you get the 18's to fit your 17 rims with lots of layers of glue and gunk? :lol: The Pilots are a great set of tyres and I noticed improved fuel consumption when I had them fitted.

Keep us updated with your progress and let us know how you get on with these mods when they settle in.

Couldn't you get the 18's to fit your 17 rims with lots of layers of glue and gunk? :lol: The Pilots are a great set of tyres and I noticed improved fuel consumption when I had them fitted.

Keep us updated with your progress and let us know how you get on with these mods when they settle in.
Certainly will...

Thanks for the warm welcome home.... I suppose I could have tried the new trend of tyre stretching in reverse, tyre shrinking, it would look well cool huh, the backwards cap boys would love it, me tires flopping and a flapping about like an old birds skirt....

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back