Automatic headlights

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I can't understand why ALL makes and models of new vehicles do not have factory fitted sensors that switch on the headlights when the ignition is switched on when a set level of darkness falls with no option to turn them off until the ignition is turned off .|B
IMO it is a "no brainer" must have safety feature as in my travels I encounter so many vehicles with only parkers/sidelights on at what almost seems like 5 minutes to midnight visibility levels. .V(

Because cost. To do those things requires sensors and technology. It is cheaper to not do it and rely of the fool behind the steering wheel to do it.

MY other 1/2 has rain sensitive wipers and auto on headlights in her Kia Sportage but the lights have the option to be auto or manual.

I've heard of moves to take away the Off option and only have On or Auto on new car light switches.

Which is rubbish. I turn my lights to off when the car is going to a garage for work, otherwise they'd be on all the time.

I've heard of moves to take away the Off option and only have On or Auto on new car light switches.

Which is rubbish. I turn my lights to off when the car is going to a garage for work, otherwise they'd be on all the time.

Guy I don't think you quite thought it thru before you posted .

The auto on lights on only work automatically when the ignition is on and the light switch in our Kia is in the AUTO position.:)

I am advocating that there is no option to turn off the auto lights to stop muppets driving in the dark with only sidelights , parkers or no lights at all and increase road safety for all.

Last edited: