Autodab

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
Just wandering has anyone had one of these dab modules fitted to there cars? I'm looking and for £150 with self fitting and still have use of the steering wheel controls and dash display they seem like a good option for me. So I'm just after some reviews see if there any good. Any reviews with one of these modules good or bad would be appreciated!

No idea herb, but I eagerly await a positive review of some kind. My car still has just the FM AM radio combo and there is a world of digital radio out there now including my own beloved Jazz Fm.

I thought Jazz FM was available on 102.2 Mhz in the London area. Maybe 'was' is the operative word here.

My understanding is thus: mobile DAB is currently compromised because we are still running the FM masts at full modulation and the DAB muliplexes are at very low ERP in order to avoid interfering with FM broadcasting.

Much the same happened with the switchover to DVB (digital video broadcasting - digital terrestrial TV).

Effectively we are spending ages and ages committing to the new technology simply to support the tiny minority of people who refuse to embrace DAB.

By the time DAB is sufficiently covered for in car usage we will probably have 5G mobile data with 3G and 4G filling in the 'holes' such that we can simply used internet IP radio on the move. And as such DAB will have been a right royal waste of time and money.

DAB is weak because of what HDi says here. Ofcom are trying to decide whether to continue with DAB or ditch it now and use the better quality DAB2 system that rest of Europe and USA use. The problem is the 2 systems are not compatible with each other so all the DAB units out there now would be obsolete and not pick up anything if they did switch. FM switch off was scheduled for this year 2015, then delayed until 2018 but industry speculate that this date will be put back now as OFCOM and manufacturers can't decide. DAB4 is on its way also but that's an whole new discussion ............ .V(

Herb you'll be safe with a straight forward DAB plugin unit for now |B

Yes, so by the time we finally ratify DAB it'll will have been superseded at least once. No wonder this country is in financial difficulty.

I thought Jazz FM was available on 102.2 Mhz in the London area. Maybe 'was' is the operative word here.

My understanding is thus: mobile DAB is currently compromised because we are still running the FM masts at full modulation and the DAB muliplexes are at very low ERP in order to avoid interfering with FM broadcasting.

Much the same happened with the switchover to DVB (digital video broadcasting - digital terrestrial TV).

Effectively we are spending ages and ages committing to the new technology simply to support the tiny minority of people who refuse to embrace DAB.

By the time DAB is sufficiently covered for in car usage we will probably have 5G mobile data with 3G and 4G filling in the 'holes' such that we can simply used internet IP radio on the move. And as such DAB will have been a right royal waste of time and money.
I have DAB as standard in my car.
The one time it could not pick up absolute 80s was in North Devon under a canopy of trees in a place called East Anstey.
Its fine the rest of the time.

I purchased a Pure Move 2500 and plug this into my cars Audio in 3.5mm jack, it works very well in most areas. I can also use it as a portable DAB player which is a plus.

My home town has a really weak DAB signal, so we don't get a signal in the car at all. At home we use a roof mounted Aerial.

I have DAB as standard in my car.
The one time it could not pick up absolute 80s was in North Devon under a canopy of trees in a place called East Anstey.
Its fine the rest of the time.

Right. This is interesting as I would love to have DAB in the car. I rarely listen to music on the move as the listening environment is not perfect but a choice of talk stations we be nice. R4 is fine but there are some programmes I really cannot enjoy.

I can only speak as I find I own a common Vx insignia which has Dab as a standard feature on this spec anyway.
Its perfect apart from the time mentioned in the previous post.
I have no idea why I can only speak as I find.
Absolute 80s is my station of choice and its clear.

I'd like those too! I know VW does have a direct fit replacement for my factory head unit but I am not sure about antenna placement etc. Research is needed I think.

DAB antennas (antennae) are typically short things like the one on your car. I suspect that the FM antennas on your car are incorporated in the rear window or side quarter-lights.

My car has no DAB provision directly so I will need to mount an antenna somewhere externally (it has FM antennas in the rear side glass of the luggage area.)

Paul the reason I was looking at autodab is cause they are dealer approved. You should have a quick look on there site see if they do one for your car;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back