Audi suspensions

dibsen

Tuner
Car
Audi A4 1.9TDI
I have been looking at replacing the shocks on my audi. The sites I have looked at have shocks for each different model/trim. I would have thought the only real difference would be weather the car was a wagon/avant/estate or a quatro.

What is the difference between the suspension on a 1.8T compared to my tdi?

I want to know if I can order parts from American sites but the tdi wasn't sold there. I want to know if I can use 1.8T suspension parts.

The obvious one is the weight of the engine. This has a massive bearing on the suspension settings.

It is also fair to assume that a sporty model is fitted with slightly firmer springs than a family run about model.

Also a drop of 30mm on a 1.8T will translate as a drop of around 50mm on a Diesel setup.

what is the weight difference? 30kg?

What about shocks/dampners? I am really just wanting to replace the shocks. The roads in my area are bad and the extra ground clearance is necessary, no Ferraris in my neck of the wood.

there are quite a few springs. the dampners are available for sport, normal or heavy duty but even then theres a few of each. surprisingly the FWD and 4wd use the same fronts dunno about the rear didnt look

i would personally avoid the JOM stuff. its cheap for a reason. its liked by the VAG community generally as they can go lower than most of the better setups.

sport setup is the easy one. is it a sport trim ?

It doesn't say sport anywhere so I would assume its not. It just has a red td"I" on the boot if that means anything.

the boot badges are supposed to be relevent to the engine - but as they are often chanded you could have what is supposed to be a 150bhp badge (all red tdi) on a 90bhp engine (all silver)

the red i should mean 110 or 115bhp model.

if you jack up the car and clean the suspension you may be able to get the part number off the suspension

or if you have the service book you should have all the options on here ( all 3 letter/number combinations ) and put them in here
http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx

other option is going through this
http://vag-codes.info/files/audi-option-codes.pdf

cant say ive heard much of the spring and dampner kit. i know its normally the rears that were going in the coilovers.

will back up dpmperformance up good service when i ordered stuff off him

http://www.topgear.co.uk/acatalog/FK_AK_Streetline_Coilover_Suspension_Kits.html

That link is to an FK AK coilover kit for 259(GBP). I can't seem to find much info on these and I wanted to see if any of y'all heard of them.

And for those who want to remind me that you get what you pay for with car parts, keep in mind for me this is a cheap car and I can't keep it, so it gets cheap parts. Also, its not a race car so I don't think its parts need any racing pedigree.

just found some sub 200 coilovers. I might find out if a set of these are any good.

But really I just want new dampeners

im pretty sure they are made iin the same factory as weitec and KW,
they will be of course infieror quality - likes of galvanised steel etc rather than stainless - so will need looked after.

the sub 200 let me guess JOM

for best results you really need to be using Bilstein B6 dampers as the OE replacements are just that, and therefore you are better off buying from Audi as they will be better and cheaper.

Bilstein is among the best in the world for suspension but you have to buy the uprated stuff for it to be worthwhile.