Audi Coupe electrical problems...I think!

jonnocoupe

Car
Audi coupe 2.0E
Hi guys I'v got a '91 audi coupe 2.0E. Standard apart from K&N panel filter and powerflow stainless system. I'v only had the car for a couple of months after a friend gave it to me because it wasnt working properly. I have replaced the airflow meter, lambda sensor and ignition leads which has got it running nearly spot on (well compared to what it was anyway!) but it is still quite lumpy on idle, and seems to be running quite rich. A couple of times the car wouldnt start for me and when i do get it going the voltmeter is only showing about 6 to 8 amps while the car is running. The first time I left the car for a few hours and it was fine, the next time i jump started it after leaving it over night and it was fine (holding a charge) the first time it played up the speedo started boncing about like crazy and the dash lights were going from bright to dim constantly. The lights seem to flicker as before but not as bad as last time. I can also hear a whining noise coming from what sounds like the fuel pump which seems to be consistent with the flickering of the lights.

I know this is all probably a little bit hazy but i would appreciate any advice on this. Forgot to mention the car is pulling reasonably smoothly when the revs are up a bit but it still lacks power

Any ideas??

6-8 volts,i hope this is what you meant and not amps sounds like the reguator on the altinator is gone.
with the age of the car you might be lucky and be able to change the regulator itself otherwise you will need a whole new altinator.

on the rest have you cleaned the sparks, try a dose of injector cleaner and go for a spirited drive see if this helps.
check the engine coolant sensor as well is theres one fitted as this can cause rough running on the newer vag engines

yea i meant volts lol. I'v put some injector cleaner into it and gave it a good run, it seems to be a little bit better but the problem is still there.

I talked to my friend who I got the car from and he told me it had a reconditioned alternator fitted a number of months ago, hopefully thats not the problem for obvious reasons of cost (asked about the regulator but you have to but the unit complete). Can I test the alternator/regulator on its own so I know exactly??

I'v taken the battey out to give it a full charge. Gonna check it with a voltmeter tomorrow while connected to see if the drop in voltage is happening at the battery.

Interesting you mentioned the temp sensor because it has gone on my car (no reading on the guage) so I will get that replaced got to be worth a try!!! I only looked at 2 of the spark plugs last time which looked fine so I was a bit lazy but I'll take them all out to be sure.

you can test the altinator but i cant remember how its done. well not that its charging getting a voltage is easy enough. All the regulator does is keep it the voltage around 14 volts and prevents it from spikeing

wifes golf had a temp issue and it ran like a bag of ..... after it was fixed it ran alot better (and the alarm worked proberly on it)

yea it was loose but i tensioned it uo last week so it should be fine, i will have another look though tonight just to be sure

you can test the altinator but i cant remember how its done. well not that its charging getting a voltage is easy enough. All the regulator does is keep it the voltage around 14 volts and prevents it from spikeing

wifes golf had a temp issue and it ran like a bag of ..... after it was fixed it ran alot better (and the alarm worked proberly on it)

Well I'v got the replacement coolant temp sender but I cant find anywhere that has the same fitment. Any ideas where it goes?? I'v had a few people look at it and we can't find where it fits.
The place I got it from assures me it is the right one but I'm not so sure!!