Audi A8 (D3 4E) Headlights / Bulbs changing , removing Guide.

Marc07

Road Burner
Car
Audi A8 3.7 V8 40V
Well, I came up with idea of this thread after my recent 'adventures' with changing the light bulbs on my A8.
I have searched lots of Audi forums and threads on different sites, but not all of them gives you a clear and true answer in regards to this issue or even a single picture.

I'm aware that there is not many A8 owners registered on this site or there is even no A8 sub-forum, but if at least one person will find this guide helpful then I'm happy ;)

So there you go.
This guide is for all Audi A8s D3 - pre-Facelift models from '02-'05 and Facelift models from end of '05-'10 I believe.
Mine is the '06 plate 4E facelift model.

Lets start quickly from the Fog Lights.
This ones are very simple. You start from uncliping the grill surrounding the fog light with the flat head screwdriver, there are small holes between the grills's ribs, 2 on the top side and 2 on the bottom side.
Then unscrew both screws on the outside part and half-lose the 3rd one. Next all you do is pull the unit out and unclip the 5 latches around the housing, take the back housing off and there you go. Cables off, unclip the bulb, put the new bulb, secure it with clips, connect the cables, clip the housing back in place, screw it back, clip the grills and your are done.
Pre-Facelift models using the H1 bulbs, and the Facelift models from late '05 are fitted with H7 bulbs 55W.

Removing Headlights.
Unfortunately, in this scenario you have to remove the bumper, BUT you not necessary have to remove them to change the bulbs as recommended by some websites.
Before you start taking the bumper off, don't forget to remove the 'pampers' first (the plastic cover on the bottom of the engine attached to the bumper as well).
Bumpers screws are located at the top when you open the bonnet, then you will need to take the wheel arch liner completely off (take the wheel off for it), or just lose the wheel arch liner with the wheel on, less job but tight with space.
You will find there 3 screws, if you struggling you can also access them from the fog lights side, follow the changing fog lights bulb steps.
Then headlights are hold by 6 screws: 2 behind the headlight (on the bottom behind the unit there are 2screws with quiet big washers, hard to miss), 2 on the top of the headlight and 2 below the headlight which can be accessed only after removing/loosing the bumper unfortunately.

Changing bulbs.
NO NEED to remove the headlights.

Passenger side
This can be done by removing the wheel, then removing the wheel arch liner and there you go, fairly easy access to the back of the headlight unit.
OR
Just behind the headlight, there is a black reservoir, power steering one I think, unscrew the bolt (size10) on the top left and then pull it off from the metal frame which holds it, as far as you need, depends from the size of your hand really.
Then, unclip the back covers and there you go. Sidelights and High Beam is located in the compartment close to the radiator, and the Low Beam are located on the indicator side.
Sidelights, all you have to do is to pull them out and thats it, there is no secure clips etc, and there are W5W 501.
High Beam and Low Beam - H7 55W 12V
High and Low Beam bulb can be replaced by applying pressure to the base of the bulb, and then turning to left or right side (can't remember now, but easy to find out ;) )
The connector comes with a metal base where you plugging in the bulb which have a metal pin on each side, and headlight is fitted with 2 slots/cuts where the pins sitting on.

P1080646-Copy.jpg

Driver side
Unfortunately, no matter which method you want to use here, you will need to remove the airbox first.
Unscrew 5 cross head screws around the edge. Then behind the airbox and air flow sensor there where cable is attached unscrew the cross head screw on the metal clamp ring around the air pipe which goes to the back of the engine, and when you do that just lift the box and pull it off.
Then there is really no point to take the wheel and wheel arch liner off as when you remove the airbox there is quiet a lot of room to access low and high beam sections.

I did mine without taking the wheels and wheel arches off. Which ever way you go, there is still very little space so it's not an very easy task.

Good luck and I hope at least one person will find it helpful as it took me quiet a lot of time before I found my own the most effective way, next time it will be a matter of 10-15min not hours like on the first time :)

A good guide there! Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I'm sure we'll get more A8 owners along soon;)

Great piece of advice. Many thanks. My car is a 4.2 Tdi and I replaced the drivers side (UK) sidelight bulb in about half an hour. Removed the airbox and then you have a cover plate at the back of the headlight. This unclipped (not without a bit of force) from the top and you have access, if you have small hands, to the back of the lamp. I managed to pull the small bulb holder out from it's hole (again with a tiny bit of twisting and some pressure). After that is't straightforward replacement.

Greetings InChicagoCar and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

Really great guide for beginners. Keep up the good work.
Every car has its own fans.

Greetings AudiA8L and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Hey has anyone have the clip holding the bulb totally come out and if so, how did you get it back in?

if I want to replace a missing lens cover, how are they fixed? one dropped off and have new one to fit

Well, I came up with idea of this thread after my recent 'adventures' with changing the light bulbs on my A8.
I have searched lots of Audi forums and threads on different sites, but not all of them gives you a clear and true answer in regards to this issue or even a single picture.

I'm aware that there is not many A8 owners registered on this site or there is even no A8 sub-forum, but if at least one person will find this guide helpful then I'm happy ;)

So there you go.
This guide is for all Audi A8s D3 - pre-Facelift models from '02-'05 and Facelift models from end of '05-'10 I believe.

This ones are very simple. You start from uncliping the grill surrounding the fog light with the flat head screwdriver, there are small holes between the grills's ribs, 2 on the top side and 2 on the bottom side.
Then unscrew both screws on the outside part and half-lose the 3rd one. Next all you do is pull the unit out and unclip the 5 latches around the housing, take the back housing off and there you go. Cables off, unclip the bulb, put the new bulb, secure it with clips, connect the cables, clip the housing back in place, screw it back, clip the grills and your are done.
Pre-Facelift models using the H1 bulbs, and the Facelift models from late '05 are fitted with H7 bulbs 55W.

Removing Headlights.
Unfortunately, in this scenario you have to remove the bumper, BUT you not necessary have to remove them to change the bulbs as recommended by some websites.
Before you start taking the bumper off, don't forget to remove the 'pampers' first (the plastic cover on the bottom of the engine attached to the bumper as well).
Bumpers screws are located at the top when you open the bonnet, then you will need to take the wheel arch liner completely off (take the wheel off for it), or just lose the wheel arch liner with the wheel on, less job but tight with space.
You will find there 3 screws, if you struggling you can also access them from the fog lights side, follow the changing fog lights bulb steps.
Then headlights are hold by 6 screws: 2 behind the headlight (on the bottom behind the unit there are 2screws with quiet big washers, hard to miss), 2 on the top of the headlight and 2 below the headlight which can be accessed only after removing/loosing the bumper unfortunately.

Changing bulbs.

Passenger side
This can be done by removing the wheel, then removing the wheel arch liner and there you go, fairly easy access to the back of the headlight unit.
OR
Just behind the headlight, there is a black reservoir, power steering one I think, unscrew the bolt (size10) on the top left and then pull it off from the metal frame which holds it, as far as you need, depends from the size of your hand really.
Then, unclip the back covers and there you go. Sidelights and High Beam is located in the compartment close to the radiator, and the Low Beam are located on the indicator side.
Sidelights, all you have to do is to pull them out and thats it, there is no secure clips etc, and there are W5W 501.
High and Low Beam bulb can be replaced by applying pressure to the base of the bulb, and then turning to left or right side (can't remember now, but easy to find out ;) )
The connector comes with a metal base where you plugging in the bulb which have a metal pin on each side, and headlight is fitted with 2 slots/cuts where the pins sitting on.

P1080646-Copy.jpg

Driver side
Unfortunately, no matter which method you want to use here, you will need to remove the airbox first.
Unscrew 5 cross head screws around the edge. Then behind the airbox and air flow sensor there where cable is attached unscrew the cross head screw on the metal clamp ring around the air pipe which goes to the back of the engine, and when you do that just lift the box and pull it off.
Then there is really no point to take the wheel and wheel arch liner off as when you remove the airbox there is quiet a lot of room to access low and high beam sections.

I did mine without taking the wheels and wheel arches off. Which ever way you go, there is still very little space so it's not an very easy task.

Good luck and I hope at least one person will find it helpful as it took me quiet a lot of time before I found my own the most effective way, next time it will be a matter of 10-15min not hours like on the first time :)
Very usefull, i plan to try and replace my drivers side sidelight tommorow, question, i have a couple of LED's out on the rear right outside light cluster, is there any way to replace/fix them? all sights i've looked at seem to recomend repacing the whole lights cluster, approx £200. seems a hell of a lot for 3 pence LED's !

Very usefull, i plan to try and replace my drivers side sidelight tommorow, question, i have a couple of LED's out on the rear right outside light cluster, is there any way to replace/fix them? all sights i've looked at seem to recomend repacing the whole lights cluster, approx £200. seems a hell of a lot for 3 pence LED's !

Unfortunately I had my rear lamp cluster fail, took it to Audi, said it was unrepairable and wanted £650 to replace!!!
Got a part for £320 and replaced in a haze of expletives. Really angry with the cost.

replaced front drivers side side light, took about half hour thanks to the info above, great info
Paul

Can i jist say i was struggling with my bulb issue. I looked everywhere i thought but just wanted to say a big thankyou for the detail supplied regarding the bulb change.

can i ask if anyone knows about the following issue.
I would like to upgrade my current light bulbs to LEDs. I have an a8 tdi 3.0 V6 sport on a 2005 model. I want to replace the main beam bulb which maybe h7 i think to LEDs.
You can choose a variety from ebay or amazon and are not too expensive.
All the LEDs bulb come with a fan cooling system built onto the end of the bulb and people say if you fit LEDs onto your car, then you cannot attach the back covering plate to your headlamp housing as the LEDs need air.
Does anyone if this is correct?.
Has anyone upgraded to LEDs on their a8?
Please do advice
Thanks

So there you go.

Removing Headlights.

Changing bulbs.

Passenger side
OR

P1080646-Copy.jpg

Driver side

Tried for days to find somewhere that can replace LED's on circuit boards, (rear light cluster on car) every answer i got was " cant be done, you need to buy a new cluster" new cluster approx £300 !
Found a place in Camperdown Industrial Estate, Cant praise them enough, replaced all the blown/short circuit LED's while I waited, tested everything, all working fine now. No where near the cost of a new one, eat your heart out Audi !

Irridian Industrial Electronics

Tel: +44(0)1915970636
Fax: +44(0)1914067523
Mob: +44 (0)7795577557

Ho there pms01.
Do you know what part of the country irridiant are based in.only because im in birmingham midlands.

Tried for days to find somewhere that can replace LED's on circuit boards, (rear light cluster on car) every answer i got was " cant be done, you need to buy a new cluster" new cluster approx £300 !
Found a place in Camperdown Industrial Estate, Cant praise them enough, replaced all the blown/short circuit LED's while I waited, tested everything, all working fine now. No where near the cost of a new one, eat your heart out Audi !

Irridian Industrial Electronics

Tel: +44(0)1915970636
Fax: +44(0)1914067523
Mob: +44 (0)7795577557
There based in camperdown industrial estate, tyne and wear, i'm sure if you rand them they can arrange a postal service.

Hello...and profuse thanks to all that have contributed to this thread.

Thought I would bring it up to date and cover the replacement of HID Xenon lamps as fitted to the D3 A8 innthe last couple of years of production. Mine is an 09 quattro sport with a 3.0 Diesel. Right hand drive.

Whilst you might be able to do the job without removing the wheels and the inner liners, if you have the HID bulbs you really do not want to risk damaging them in a confined space.

Taking the wheel off is easy - raise the ride height first and get a trolley jack under the jacking point. An ice hockey rubber puck fits the jack cradle well and protects the bodywork. Support with axle stands and make it safe etc etc

Liner is in two parts. Torx head fixiings and three plastic rivets (push central pin through rivet and pull it out ). Couple of large plastic lock screws at bottom of liner. One of the torx screws is shorter than the rest - this one secures the liner to the lip of the wheel arch.

I took the airbox top off to give more room and I was changing the filter at the same time. There is a small torx screw retaining the cover plate on the back of the lamp. With the liner off, you gently pry down the two plastic tabs on top of the back cover plate. Be careful. Remember to loosen that torx screw else the plate will not release. Pull the cover away at the top and then lift it free from the lower pegs. There is a wiring harness plugged into the cover so don't wrench it off.

You will now see the ignition ballast pack. Release the flimsy wire clip by swinging it away from the ballast. It is hinged on one side.

Turn the ballast anti clockwise by about 20 degrees, following the arrows on the ballast. This action forces the electrical connector out of the ballast. The ballast comes out without the bulb. Remove the ballast and then you will see the bulb held in by a simple wire clip. Release clip and take the bulb out, noting the orientation.

Before fitting the new bulb, try refitting the old one so that you understand how it all goes back together. Bulbs are forty quid and you don't want to goose the new one.

The only gotcha on refitting is understanding the automatic lock ring that is incorporated into the ballast. When the electrical connector is pushed home, it turns an inner ring that locks the balast to the bulb. When you twist the ballast to take it off, it forces the electrical connector out of the socket.

If you connect the plug to the ballast before refitting it to the headlamp then you are urinating into a stiff breeze. Make sure the inner keyway on the ballast alligns with the outer keyways and then refit the ballast. Then fit the electrical plug back into the ballast.

Don't be afraid to take the wheel off and remove the liner. It is a simple job and makes the changing of the bulb possible whilst being able to see what you are doing.

Allow lots of time and take it steady.

I just need to work out how to get at the front turn signals now....

Thanks for updating this thread. It's been read so many times now im sure its helped 100s of people.