AUDI A6 Clutch

VAG-rant

I have an A6 1.8T SE W-reg (2000). I have been informed by Helix Autosport that the clutch assembly is the same as an A4 except my particular model of the A6 (APU engine code) has a flywheel unique to that year.

I am wondering... since the VW Passat 1.8T is essentially the same vehicle, if an uprated clutch from the US for a Passat will fit my car.

ATP Turbo have a whole 400bhp able clutch with a light flywheel, but that is $995 (about £650 + import duty) which is very high. The flywheel alone is $495 and I have been assured it fits, but would rather find a UK alternative if one exists.

Anybody got experience of Audi clutches on an A6???? (probably not)

* VAGrant *

Got a mate with the S6 quattro (A seriously quick car the 2.5T I believe but so sedate and well mannered - I took a roundabout doing a U at 40 mpg and the tyres barely chirped) and he fitted the clutch himself - he didn't trust a garage to do the work - I'll see what he knows for your model. Are you going to do the flywheel at the same time?

Yeah, I did a few 0-60s on my remap and for everyday driving my cars fine, but there is too much power in the remap to allow me to launch from 3.5Krpm as the clutch just slips and burns!!! Essentially the dynamic torque handling capacity (when I am already moving along) of the OEM clutch is fine , but sitting at a start line holding the revs up with the turbo pre-spooled and dropping the clutch will create too much instantaneous torque (or static torque) and then it all goes Pete Tong. Too many fast starts are taking there toll on the clutch. I can start at £2.5k perfectly fine everytime... any higher and it begins being a bit hit and miss as to whether the clutch will hold and I will shift like a hot hatch, or if the revs will redline and the car not go anywhere.

If I can find a suitable clutch in the Uk capable of 400+bhp and about 500nm+ torque then I might keep the A6... otherwise it'll be replaced by an A4 which has more available for it.

I would be changing the whole clutch, not just the flywheel. I understand Helix Autosport are about to make a flywheel for my car... I might be able to use that with all other clutch parts being from an RS4, but I'll have to check with the guys at Helix Autosport. I read some guy in the US was running an RS4 clutch in his A6, but that was a 2.7 bi-turbo.

In the US there are many places to get a custom clutch, but I don't know anywhere here that does one. I'd be happy to get one made up.

You might find pumping the clutch, Slowish in, fast out, fast in will help the clutch bite better for a fast start (this will probably wear it out quicker). Did you know that doing a burn out warms the tyres increasing the tyre pressur, it also softens the tyres and improves their grip.

I think probably that is the answer the RS4 clutch. It would be good if there was a company that could reface clutches with higher friction compounds.