Audi A4 Problem- Cutting out upon startup

bigdavesphinx

Hi all, My brothers audi a4 has developed a problem, it cuts out upon startup

when ignition key is turned, it starts, jumps to around 2k revs and then cuts out, does this sometimes once, other times up to 3/4 times before it starts properly.

I tried to film the speedo but had it was too dark at the time and my camera phone is crap lol

Managed to record a audio clip, sound is pretty low but can just about hear it,

http://rapidshare.com/files/180384359/Sound_clip_01.wav.html

can any gurus on here shed some light on this problem?

P.s. when we bought this car, the previous owner said he had the ECU remapped, could this have anything to do with it?

the 2k revs could be because its so dam cold at the min.

cutting out after starting is normally the immobiliser might be that your battery in the fob could be going dead.
its a start anyway

thanks for the reply, i never thought of that, i'll try my spare key and leave my current key on the side, will let you know if the same problem still occurs.

There is a key icon in the display to show the immobiliser is active, check this goes off.

Does the car need servicing? Is there a loss of power or lumpy running when it finally does start?

I would suspect the air temp sensor could be playing up. Unplug and reconnect all leads around the MAF and other related senders.

waynne thats the one mate, i noticed the key/car icon stays lit up with the current key, but goes off with my spare key, so you guys are right, its the battery in the key.

thanks guys my spare key works fine, ill get the battery replaced and see if that sorts out the main key

You might need to reset the fob to the car. There is a sequence of buttons to press usually. Audi should be able to tell you if you can't find it online.

dont know mate you may find that it holds the info. not sure about the button sequences think it might have to be done using the diag software as you need to update the "keys" in the immoboliser

some key fobs don't have battery's. the key may need resetting an you can only do it at audi as it needs to go through germanys audi server. it happened to me but its not cheap though

I do hate it when you have to use the main dealers but I guess it is all in the name of security! :(

(Hey Matrix you live near me - I'm over in Deal!)

yes waynne that is true mate. i live in minster an work at the bell inn pub. maybe we'll meet up some time mate. i know what you mean bout main dealers. thats why i use my mate for things as he gets discount for me on genuine parts an some other stuff to. i do know a guy who makes the keys but he can't programme them.

pgarner we tried that on mine but no go. it only left us with the main dealer route. but give it ago as yours maybe diff to mine mate

no worries , ive never had to use it other than change a few settings i wasnt happy with, but have heard o using i when the clocks have been changed (mainly low models,1.4 1.6 having the turbo or r32 clocks fitted ) the immobiliser code is stored in the clocks and can be changed through this.

problem is it all runs the same code with different parameters. ie if i was to set up the auto lock on yours it would be different than setting it up on the bora

pgarner we tried that on mine but no go. it only left us with the main dealer route. but give it ago as yours maybe diff to mine mate

Sorry mate was reading somewhere else and got confused you need Vagcom to get the codes, but vagtacho to program the keys themselves. this is still done through the diagnostic port