Audi A4 2.0T and 87 octane fuel

agiveon

I recently bought an Audi A4 2.0T and it says on the gas cap that I should use a 91 and higher octane.

This is a leased car and I am an "average commuter"... that is, I really do not care about performance... if anything, with gas prices, I care about how much I pay at the pump...

I have been using 87 octane. Is that going to cause some problems in the future? Is there a CHEAP solution to this?

I am in the US... California, Los Angeles... I can buy 87, 91 and 95 octane.

Would the engine run more quietly with higher octane?

possibly - but if its a lease car then who cares? Did find that odd how low octane your fuel is and how cheap it was! was around $2.50 a gallon last time was there, how much is it now?

It should be more efficient on higher octane. You will get more power and therefore need less fuel to get the same speed. I tend to find that economy is better with the higher octane if you reach your makers requirements. Its worth comparing a tank of each and see which gives the most mileage.

Shao - $2.50 a gallon :eek: we're paying that per litre at the moment!

I am not sure where "here" is... but my guess is that you earn your salary in Euros (or pounds)... :)

pounds here, well most of us. we seem to be reaching out far.

we now have members over with you and as far the other way in Delhi

yeah a gallon on 95 octane is around £4.90 ($9.30)
98 octane is over £5 ($9.50)

So the US cars quoted MPG figures are much better than they seem? (or is it worse - umm math question!)