Audi A4 1997 AHU

samuelBusuttil

Car
Audi A4 1997 AHU
Hi, I am new to this forum, I have an AHU 19Tdi which came 89 hp stock, I tuned the ECU and changed the injectors to the 205cc from the golf/Audi 110 hp. The tuner says that I am making around 140-145 hp. My question is how much more can the clutch take before it starts to slip? can it take more power or does it need changing? The clutch is fine as it is but will it slip if more power is added (Tubo change or add more boost to current non PD turbo with the wastegate). Thanks

Hi and welcome |B

As to weather your clutch will slip is governed by the life it has experienced and how much it has worn the linings.
When a clutch driven plate wears it reduces the initial clamping pressure little by little.
I would just keep driving until it starts to slip and then have it replaced with one with a higher clamping pressure especially if you tend to drive in a sporting manner with high rev starts.

IF you want to find out if it is close to the end and need replacing before long then have the car in 3rd gear with the handbrake on hard and try to drive if it stalls then there is no need to worry BUT if it slips then it will need replacing soon.

Hi and welcome |B

As to weather your clutch will slip is governed by the life it has experienced and how much it has worn the linings.
When a clutch driven plate wears it reduces the initial clamping pressure little by little.
I would just keep driving until it starts to slip and then have it replaced with one with a higher clamping pressure especially if you tend to drive in a sporting manner with high rev starts.

IF you want to find out if it is close to the end and need replacing before long then have the car in 3rd gear with the handbrake on hard and try to drive if it stalls then there is no need to worry BUT if it slips then it will need replacing soon.
Ok, great I will try it tomorrow. If the clutch is still good, do you think it could handle more power as I don't know how much the stock clutch can handle as I couldn't find any indication on the stock clutch? Thanks

As has been said there is no hard and fast rule or limit, some clutches fare better than others, wear and tear and which factory they came out of all have a bearing.

I view the clutch as a service item, and change it when it needs it, if I've added lots of power and it slips a few months later I will try and source a heavier duty clutch.

I believe SACHS do a decent clutch kit for the 1.9 TDi.

That's good then, a worry for another day.

Now look after it, snap the clutch through biting point swiftly and smoothly and don't keep your foot pressed down on the clutch pedal. ;)

Yes, I never keep my foot on the clutch, but I asked because I was thinking of adding more boost on the turbo as I recently changed to bigger injectors and I am sceptical on the improvement as acceleration is still in 11 seconds from 115hp to 140hp.

I am sceptical on the improvement as acceleration is still in 11 seconds from 115hp to 140hp
Timed 1/4 mile with the same driver, conditions, fuel load, etc? Or seat of pants guess? I'm not entirely convinced the real world difference between 115 and 140 is enough to feel.

Timed 1/4 mile with the same driver, conditions, fuel load, etc? Or seat of pants guess? I'm not entirely convinced the real world difference between 115 and 140 is enough to feel.
I time the 0-60 miles acceleration, not the 1/4 mile as where I live there isn't much space to do a 1/4 mile. But what I don't understand is from a stock 90hp the 0-60 is 13 seconds, after a remap the 0-60 was 11 seconds and now after the injector change to 140 hp its still the same 11 seconds same driver and same road.

Now I was thinking maybe the injectors had not much impact on acceleration but if I put a bigger turbo or increase the boost it should help better acceleration. The only issue is I would need a new clutch as the stock will not handle the torque.