Audi A3 - Wont Start - Possible Fuel Problem

JayDNZ

Car
Audi A3 1.8T (1999)
Hi Guys,

I have a 1999 Audi A3, 1.8T 5V petrol engine and I topped up the oil on the weekend and it now won't start.

I'm not super technical but I'll explain as best I can.

I was cornering a bend on Thursday and the oil light came on, I got home and the dip stick was reading nothing, pretty bad I know, I knew it was due a service but didn't realise it was quit that bad. I decided not to use the car until I got some oil in her, it was Easter Friday and so she sat on my lawn for a couple of days until I got some oil on Saturday. I toyed with the idea of changing the filter myself instead of taking it in for a service and I jacked up the car, but I didn't like being under it jacked up so decided to just put some oil in and take it in for a service. I put in about 3 Litres of oil and the dip stick is measuring about halfway between Min and Max.

I then went to start it and it won't start, my immediate thought was battery, maybe I left a light on for a few days but the engine is turning over, I've tried jump leads and taken the battery to auto-shop to test and they said it's OK. Someone at the store suggested checking the fuel line, he suggested that the car could "think" it's been in an accident if there was any sudden movements with jacking up or down.

So I took off what I think is the fuel line and turned the engine over and no fuel is coming through. No fuel does make sense because a couple of times when cranking it sounded like it almost started but couldn't quite fire (possibly the last drops of fuel flowing through).

So I think I've diagnosed the reason for not starting (fuel not coming through), but I've got no idea why it's not coming through or how to fix it.

Below is a photo of the line I disconnected to see if any fuel was coming though (which it wasn't). I'm not 100% sure if this is the fuel line or not.

Last week I ordered a Vag-Com cable to link up to my laptop, this was because the airbag light has been on for about a week or so (this could be related I guess). the Vag-Com cable hasn't arrived yet, should be in the next day or two.

The fuel tank is over 3/4 full by the way.

Any suggestions very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jason

*Removed URL's as per our T&C's*

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Cheers! :)

didn;t realise about the URL's... I'll try and upload a pic another way.

There is no other way until you reach 10 posts, this is a TC rule and is in place to help protect us from the constant spammers. Have a little look around the site and get involved in some of the other threads, you will hit 10 posts in no time at all buddy ;)

Don't know squat about Audi's but my brother in law had one and apparently it was quite normal for it to use a fair bit of oil, so do keep an eye on the level in between services. This not your case but sometimes when you run your tank dry[ never do this] and then fill up, or just top up till you get to the service station the car still wont start, it gets air locked, so remove the filler cap, start it and then replace filler cap. Just a few tips.

try checking that relay 409 remove the panel under the steering wheel the one thats above the pedals and you should find it under there.

409 is the one for the fuel pump remember hearing it was a common problem with 1.8s.

it aslo should use next to no oil. 1/2 ltr was all i was using between oil changes. most of that would be lost through the turbo.
also make sure you use the correct grade of oil - check the service book for what spec it is VW505,501 i cant remember which. also if you have a TPS nearby give them a shout for the VW quantum. its not as dear as you think for the right stuff

Half a litre between oil changes? To me that's a lot, I know for some cars that's normal but I've always had cars that use absoluutely no oil between changes and that includes my skyline. What would a lot be then?

start looking at hondas a 1ltr per 1000 is common if your driving in the vtec alot

only had to top it up once after i bought it. took just under a ltr from min to max. after that it was maybe halfway down the dipstick when changing it so guessing it was around half a ltr. never actually topped it up other than that once