audi 80 engine suggestions

audi80

Car
accord and audi 80
i just bought a 1990 2l 4 door audi 80 for $200 i am looking to make it a tuning/track car and had a few questions.
first what do you recommend to ad horse power with out breaking the bank?
maybe a swap for a straight 6?
would the engine be able to handle a intercooled twin turbo set up?
any thing i missed?

hey and welcome to the site mate
twin turboing the engine would be alot of work. much easier to find the 2.2 turbo and fit that

this would also help with your exhaust issue

your other 2 posts are stuck in the mod queue will have a look at them in a min

As said, drop in the Quattro or 200 turbo engine, the 2.0 and 2.2 blocks are the same and are strengthed, somewhere I have the engine codes for what you need to look out for.

Is it a manual or automatic? I only ask as the floorpan is different and has built in mounts dependant upon gearbox installed. You could always convert to 4wd but you would lose power through transmission losses but would be good on a damp track. The rear Quattro legs are actually front ones reversed if I recall.

thanks for the suggestions it is a 5speed manual and it is actually the 5cyl i was mistaken the reason i dont want to do a swap is that i am in high school and play 3 sports so i dont have to much time i can only work weekends so a swap dosnt seem to feasible till summer but durring summer i may just sell this and get a e30 m3 if i have the money