Audi 2.0 Tdi Turbo

Teenager2413

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EP2
Bonjour everybody

so after a couple of months of owning my beloved 2.0 Tdi 140 quattro the turbo started sounding like a siren then one day it want bang no doubt it blew it self in two LITERALLY !!!
so after a fight with the dealer he paid for the turbo and i paid for labour (i just did it myself) and it was a FUN job thanks to the quattro , the turbo he supplied fitted on no issue etc i had to get it fully set up with the variable vanes but after a month or so the wine has come back along with a screeching noise under heavy load , now im going to pay for the turbo this time as the dealer is being a pain to get hold of for the warranty on the turbo , what mods would i need if i wanted to put a hybrid in , i found one which is stronger internals et up etc my intention is when i finally get hold of the dealer to sell the replacement , and i have further ideas for a intercooler ,suspension and brakes

see pic below how to destroy a turbo XD

Attachments

• IMG_1964.PNG
    IMG_1964.PNG
    650.9 KB · Views: 8
Not sure how far you want to go with the car but see here darksidedevelopments -gtb-turbo-kit-for-2-0-16v-tdi-bkd
Im guessing its a Pump Duse engine by the picture of the turboo_O
When you replaced the turbo what did you do? Just un bolt the old manifold and turbo and put the new one back on the car?( after making the space to get it out and back in i mean )

Last edited by a moderator:
If the second turbo is dying then I would suspect an oil feed problem. If the wrong oil is used in these it cakes up, and the turbo is usually the first component starved of sufficient oil.

Hello I went crazy with the old one cleaned all oil gullys feed intercooler , etc I made sure everything was flowing and free , no fragments and yes it a pd engine , I think it was just a very bad and cheap recon as the warranty came out his pocket

The turbo on the BKD engine is well known to fail tbh. The engines themselves are pretty good otherwise and quite good to tune giving good figures.

Yeah WHEN it runs properly it was at 187 and 290ftlb of torque so my target is 200bhp and 300ftlb which will give me plenty or go and good mpg when driven properly

It is important to ensure that the oil feed lines to the CHRA are not partly blocked so I would soak them in degreasing fluid overnight and blast compressed air thru them to remove any possible blockage.

i did all of this even run deisal through the engine oil lines to clear them and yes i left it for about 12 hours to drain out

so after buying a new turbo i found what the issues were quite quickly Pics will follow , but this new hybrid i put on is something else , does anyone know what the maxium boost this engine can handle safely the turbo i have got is good up to 200 bhp only thing is i want to adjust it as it spool quite late , (3 grand ) but when it hits that dam is got some go

I look forward to the pics.

The blocks are pretty solid and good for arid 270bhp - 300bhp.

Injectors tend to give out before that though.

Thanks for the pics.

What's happened to the turbo blades? They look shredded at the edges?

well le tme explain not long after fitting this turbo for some reason it blew the center pipe of considering that the intake side i dont know why but im guessing it may of sucked something in during this time cause a few chunk and chips to come of there for causing the in balance and wine

can u see the difference in the turbo pitch though <3

Yes I can see the difference it looks great.

Have you checked there are no metal fragments inside the cylinders?