Audi 1.8t help

zman6000

Car
r5 gtt, saxo vts
Hi guys been here for a while but just got a new car and it's completely standard Audi A3 1.8t Quattro 180bhp, so fitted a viper filter, and had it remapped by power flow? Supposedly 210bhp just on the standard car but I'm not sure. It feels poo compared to my scooby or Renault 5 although these are quite highly tuned anyway it's boost levels vary a lot does anyone know what it should boost to in all gears after being mapped? In 4th at low revs it will boost to 20psi and drop off but it 1st it will boost to about 11-12psi which I thought was a little low? I know standard it will be around 8-9 psi? What should it hold boost at? I've fitted an uprated diverter valve to which is the 710n, which changed the sound instead of a scatter sound it dumps slightly now? Any info or help would be great thanks guys

Firstly. it's considerably heavier than the R5. I suspect that in first gear the problem is that you're spooling up engine revs so rapidly that the turbo compressor doesn't really get a chance to spool up. It's not unusual for this to happen and a remap just exaggerates the difference between lower and higher gears. My Passat is similar, 1st is gone and forgotten about long before the turbo starts to really deliver properly. Most turbocharged cars behave in much the same way. On a really steep hill (eg Porlock, Somerset) 1:4 or 1:3 I think you'd see full boost in 1st.

One thing I would do is ditch the Viper filter. Standard induction systems do a good job these days of delivering a decent cold air feed.

Hello and welcome btw :)

It's worth checking for a boost pipe leak. Hard pipe kits are worth fitting if you have to replace the pipe work, but not if you don't.

I'd be curious to know what your 0-62 time would be. I would expect it to come in around 7-7.5 seconds on that car with that power.

Transmission losses are immense in the Quattro system, you can't beat the extra traction it gives you so that is a price worth paying.

Was it mapped on a rolling road or was it just a generic map that was applied to the car?

Firstly. it's considerably heavier than the R5. I suspect that in first gear the problem is that you're spooling up engine revs so rapidly that the turbo compressor doesn't really get a chance to spool up. It's not unusual for this to happen and a remap just exaggerates the difference between lower and higher gears. My Passat is similar, 1st is gone and forgotten about long before the turbo starts to really deliver properly. Most turbocharged cars behave in much the same way. On a really steep hill (eg Porlock, Somerset) 1:4 or 1:3 I think you'd see full boost in 1st.

One thing I would do is ditch the Viper filter. Standard induction systems do a good job these days of delivering a decent cold air feed.

I know the r5 is lighter lol I had it for 10years gave up and give it my little brother..... But I still expected more boost in first my scooby weighs around the same if not more boost never changed in that no matter what gear? Only fitted the viper for the sound which I lost anyway when I changed the recirc for the later 710n it's more of a dump noise now :( thanks for the welcome :)

It's worth checking for a boost pipe leak. Hard pipe kits are worth fitting if you have to replace the pipe work, but not if you don't.

I'd be curious to know what your 0-62 time would be. I would expect it to come in around 7-7.5 seconds on that car with that power.

Transmission losses are immense in the Quattro system, you can't beat the extra traction it gives you so that is a price worth paying.

Was it mapped on a rolling road or was it just a generic map that was applied to the car?
Hello :) it was a generic map pal nobody near me does rolling road :( I mapped it myself at work (power flow map) apparently takes them to 210 standard but I doubt that. I'm a mechanic bin in the trade around 15years and am an mot tester so if anyone's struggling I will help as best as I can :)

Isn't the 710n a recirculating valve? If not I'd change back to the original one as these engines don't work correctly with an atmospheric dv;)

Do you think an uprated n75 valve is necessary to cope with the map? And if so can anyone point me in the right direction as parts suppliers don't have a clue and I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere :( cheers guys.

Isn't the 710n a recirculating valve? If not I'd change back to the original one as these engines don't work correctly with an atmospheric dv;)
The 710n is recirculating pal and it's a standard one there just off the TT 225 ;) it's to cope with being remapped as the original only has an 8.4lbs Spring in the newer had 14.4lbs better for more boost :)