Atkinson Cycle Engine & ECU Reprogramming/Tuning

blackJMYNTRN

Car
2013 Overland Prius
I am looking to modify the ECU in my Prius, it has the Atkinson cycle motor. The Tacoma and a few other non-hybrid motors have the Atkinson cycle style of engines, just finding someone who does it, I haven't been too successful.

The 2.0L hybrid motor from the UX250h arrived along with the rear subframe, motor, and suspension parts. The goal is 2.0L AWD Gen 3 Prius.

I know very little about the Atkinson cycle engines, Otto is my bread and butter! I have been asking around but not come up with anything yet for you yet.

I would assume an aftermarket ECU is the way to go on these.

I love your thinking though, it's about time someone did something serious with a Prius.

From what I know the Atkinson Cycle engine has more inlet valve overlap / stays open for a bit after TDC and that supposedly somehow helps fuel economy by sending some of the fuel/air mix back into the inlet manifold at the start of the compression stroke.

So from that I guess that say a 2litre engine is only using say a 1.8 litres worth of AF mixture on each power stroke.

So just thinking out loud here is that a performance camshaft and a remap of the ECU should increase performance somewhat.