At whom can I rely at most when comes to tune up a/the vehicle/s

BlackSkylineGTX

Car
MINI COOPER S MODED
Hi I just wanted to know as a newbie more or less a low- beginner or almost 0 experiences in tuning cars/ vehicles what so ever.

For example.
In Computers I was always watching my Bro or somebody tuning up their computers.
One day I went into PC Shop and bought all the newest Parts, Cases etc in different Retail shops in order to get a fair sum for all of it and not to pay something like couple more of 100s of Euros. And I came home, I was alone at home, what I did I tried to do the tuning upon my PC by imaging when the others were doing. So I was doing and relieing on my feelings, better said my guts and maybe took the whole day and night for the first time, but I made it. I was like all covered with Sweat and was like having a big hunger after I completed somewhere in the next morning. LOL

Anyway I just wanna know if this is achieveable by tuning a/the car/s?
It is like having an affair, I suppose, right?
What is the minimum budget able to tune a car in a simpliest way? and/who can I trust when I shop parts, I know some of the best Branded Parts Brands like HKS, Veilside, hmmm... Yokohoma, AEM, DC Sports and something else. That is it :(

Are there any like good/ budget wise alternative towards Parts and what so ever, who is able to create the desired exterior designs, interior designs creating the parts that are essiential or are good for the beginning with a budget wise costs.

And does somebody know if in the UK is a good Import Car Retail? Im living in the Hertfordshire County (40 min to London by Train).

Sorry for long text, but I hope it will be benefitial, and thank you for your time, when giving some replies.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Just do your homework and have a final target in mind. Start off with easy mods like air filters and exhausts then as you get more competnent work up.

Unlike a computer your car could kill you or others if you get it wrong. I wouldn't work on my brakes or touch anything inside as I don't have the tools, experience or knowledge needed.

As above, get assistance when doing any work, by all means get involved but watch and learn. Don't dive head first as you'll cause more issues. Take small steps, understand what you have done and why. No point in doing modifications if you don't understand the cause and effect of them. As for reliable sources, you don't need to use the common names mentioned, they are just money printers, some are quality, but then some are living on reputation alone and charging the earth for it. Don't be fooled into thinking just because every other car has a door stack doesn't mean they have those parts fitted. Buy yourself some tuning manuals or books and soak up the information.

Best Advice I ever got and have to give: First decide what you want to do with the car. Is it going to be just a daily driver/street car? is it going to be a track monster? maybe a trailer queen who only comes out for shows to win prizes?

After you make that decision, everything gets easier, because you won't be buying lots of go-fast goodies for your show car, or tons of chrome and lights for your daily driven street car.

Keep a case of beer on hand at all times. You never know when you may need some help and can't afford a mechanic, but have 3 friends coming over to chill. Nice to have some...incentive for them to help out :)

don't be afraid to ask forums for help. this is a very friendly forum and has some super knowledgeabe people on here. some forums can be full of ----heads, but still have some nice people on that can help too. Ask for help when you need it.

lastly, know your boundaries. Are you a mechanic? do you have tons of tools? specialty tools? Sometimes your basic tool kit, a case of beer, and 3 good friends is still not enough to get the job done right. find a shop with a dyno, they'll be able to help you out. Hope my $.02 helps. Be cool.

Pretty good advice above ^^^.

The key to projects is the research. Research everything little thing, spend hours reading and looking at pictures. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if they sound stupid. We are all learning.

I only use trusted people, no matter how far I have to travel for them. I only use one guy near me as he is the only guy I trust.

As for companies that sell parts it's all dependant on the parts. It's a good start learning who the manufacturers are and then who sells the parts and what price.

well lets say i wanna have it for daily rides and with a bit out of fun small modifications like bit more sportier seats, gears, steering wheels, wheels, tinted windows a bit.

I think I will go first with a Toyota Starlet GT Turbo. Black|Black Leather seats leather steering wheel, a bit black tinted windows at the back like this one here:

Link removed as per our T&C's, you need 10 posts before being allowed to post up any links.

I would be very happy already. Something like this

get a giant turbo. Steal some seats from a Lamborghini. Make a slingshot out of pencils and rubber bands. Win. Hahaha.

Ok. So then If you know what you want to do with the car, next is find a shop and figure out what you can do yourself.

But "Show" is not my area of expertise, I focus more on "Go". So, I'll turn you over to some of the others on here.