At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

If you have caught my thread regarding a clutch release delay system you willknow what this is about. If not, have a look at "delayed clutch release" in the transmission forum.

I think that I have found a valve that will do the job. This photo is of a similar valve but is a little larger. The one I am thinking of using has 1/8" inlet and outlet and the seals can cope with clutch fluid.

Fluid flowing from the master cylinder to the clutch is unrestricted. When the fluid tries to return to the master cylinder it has to pass though an adjustable restrictor. The flow rate is adjustable from 0-20 litres per minute.

This can be attached to the dash so it is adjustable from the driver's seat.

2wayvalve.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't think such a thing existed, but I now now that they are pretty commonplace in the hydraulics arena. So, no need to reinvent the wheel :)

Settled on this:

1/4" BSP threads givng a cross sectional flow of 12.47mm2. Clutch pipe is around 9mm2 so this is OK. 1/8" BSP is too small and would restrict full flow.

Supplied with two nuts to secure to dash and adaptors to accommodate clutch pipe fittings.

2wayvalvepicture.jpg

Just bought a pair of Mecedes flappy paddles. Theses will be fitted to the steering wheel switch panel shown in earlier posts (page 12).

FLAPPYPADDLES.jpg

Last edited:
OK I'm intrigued OG, just how much were the paddles from the mighty Mercedes Benz and did you have to sell a kidney to get them? :blink:

£60 inc postage. However, the thin clip on surrounds are cracked so I got a £20 refund but aren't using them so a result.

A nice bit of kit that OG, looks pretty straightforward to use, I assume you have already taken it's weight into account and that it is acceptable to you ;)

I've made similar for my track cars, raiding various manufacturers for the right parts. Good to keep everything together and fault find. I had a bank of switches, relays and fuse bars on the centre console plus the shut-off key.

A nice bit of kit that OG, looks pretty straightforward to use, I assume you have already taken it's weight into account and that it is acceptable to you ;)
Looking at the picture, I am sure there are areas of the plastic case that would benefit from some holes :)

Plans for 2013.

Early in the new year I will be ordering this:

http://xoomspeed.com/xoomshiftsolo/xoomshiftsolo.htm

I only need this stand alone unit as the extra functions of their full system can be dealt with by my ECU.

I will be talking to them in the new year with regard to putting togther the rest of the bits I need (actuator, compressor, reservoir, etc), most of which are available off the shelf elsewhere.

Best not to keep a record of costs :)

If I had known what this project was going to cost I doubt that I would have even started it. I had an initial budget of 10,000gbp, but that just paid for the engine!

Best not to keep a record of costs :)

If I had known what this project was going to cost I doubt that I would have even started it. I had an initial budget of 10,000gbp, but that just paid for the engine!

Forgive the possibly very silly question here OG - But as the new engine has been standing all this time, do you keep ordinary oil inside it even though it is not moving, or is there some sort of preserving oil that you use until it is ready to fire up? :embarrest:

Engine was built using assembly lubrication and is kept under cover and turned over reguarly by hand. I have used my borescope (seems to be workng OK now Os) to check internal surfaces and everything is fine.

Picked up clutch engagement delay valve last week. Although Demon Tweeks do a valve that does the same job, it is 3 times the price and you have to take it apart to adjust. Maybe I should market these :)

clutchdelayvalve.jpg

clutchdelayvalveadjuster.jpg

This will be mounted in the dash so adjustment will be easy.

The 37 pin plug and socket arrived at my sister-in-law's just in time so she will be bringing it over from the USA tomorrow. Another small box ticked.

The guy I am getting the full thottle control gear from (XoomSpeed) may be sharing a stand with Elite Gearboxes at the Autosport Show in January. I wasn't planning on going this year (we went to the Classic Car Show instead), but I may go now as I will be able to talk to both XoomSpeed and Elite as they are collaborating on developing the system. Might also be able to wangle a cash discount :)

37 pin connector smuggled in by sister-in-law :)

37pinconnector.jpg

It is bigger than I had imagined, but I guess it has to be pretty big in order to hold 37 wires :) I think it will have to be mounted out of sight as it will look silly on the dash

New Year's Resolution, Day 1

Decided garage needed to be tidied up and tools put away:

Looking a lot better but a bit more to do. A bespoke workshop would be great but I'd rather spend the money on the car.

bebchafter.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2

Took small milling machine apart to find problem. Problem as can be seen in photos. I think that this damage was caused by one of the small screws that secures the motor to the top cover falling out and jamming between the cogs. Screw is in the middle of the photo approx 2/3 up.

Ordered a new cog and a spare which should be with me by the weekend.

P1020300.jpg

P1020301.jpg

Shouldn't be a problem. The cogs are nylon (or something similar) so they break rather damage something more expensive or snap the cutting tool which would be dangerous. They are a consumable part.

Maybe start a new thread for this? OG's Daily Drama?

What have you fixed or broken today? :D

Day 3

I thought about that but decided against it as there will be a lot of building going on soon and that should be here.

Cleaned up lathe and bench drill and tidied up workshop to make room for hydraulic press I am going to buy tomorrow :)

Day 4

Picked up hydraulic press today. Started to assemble it and guess what? Yup, there is a piece missing. Why is it always me? The missing part is the bar that joins the feet at the bottom. Off to get the bit tomorrow.

Photo is c**p as taken with iphone 3 without flash.

hydraulicpress.jpg

Day 5

Not much today. Removed masking tape from front bottom wishbones so they are ready to be fitted..

frontbottomwishbonewithnewbushes.jpg

Looks like I have a couple of options with regard to getting a trade ticket for the Autosport show so, hopefully, I will be going on Thursday.

Day 7

Top coat on rear ARB

rearARBpainted.jpg

Replacement cog arrived today so I was able to repair my small milling machine.