At Last!. I have started on my car ;-) PART 2

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Steve I knew that you would have a perfectly valid reason for keeping the lid :)

Was just rattling your cage :lol:
No, you make a valid point that keeping the cover is against my anal philosophy regarding weight saving :) As an access to the rear of the dash is better served by the removable dash top this cover is redundant so should be removed and the hole filled with carbon. However, it is staying for now :)

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
Nothing is lighter than a hole :lol:

Am wondering if the Elan gets to be so light that you will need to add some aero to help get all the power to the tarmac.?

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
No, you make a valid point that keeping the cover is against my anal philosophy regarding weight saving :) As an access to the rear of the dash is better served by the removable dash top this cover is redundant so should be removed and the hole filled with carbon. However, it is staying for now :)
Nothing is lighter than a hole :lol:

Am wondering if the Elan gets to be so light that you will need to add some aero to help get all the power to the tarmac.?
Unfortunately I will not be able to make it that light :) However, aero is being added to reduce drag wherever possible. The flat underside will also improve downforce and stability.

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Replacement polycarbonate (in orange packing) front and rear screens arrived today. However, the edges are protected by polycarbonate so that will have to be removed before they can be fitted.

20190315_112427.jpg

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
Good to know you are still beavering away but need to know when it will be "finished" as I want to help cheer you on in your quest BUT am getting on a bit now and don't know if I will last long enough to be around to see you get crowned as "the worlds fastest Elan driver":( :rofl:

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Good to know you are still beavering away but need to know when it will be "finished" as I want to help cheer you on in your quest BUT am getting on a bit now and don't know if I will last long enough to be around to see you get crowned as "the worlds fastest Elan driver":( :rofl:
Yes, I have that same concern about me :)

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
OK, first attempt at making a windscreen. Used an original screen to work out how much bigger the polycarbonate version has to be. Cut the poly using a jig saw with no problem.

Next task was to attempt to form it to the shape of the opening. It does bend cold but that would result in a lot of pressure on the fixings so not really ideal. Experimented with heating with hot air gun. Reached the required 150 deg C and achieved partial bending.

I will continue tomorrow and, if necessary, make an aluminium mould and form it using the curing oven.

I think that I will leave the protective covering on so I am not scared by the speed I could be travelling at :)

20190322_173736.jpg

20190322_181712.jpg20190322_184422.jpg 20190322_184523.jpg

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
The Elan is finally getting the garage/workshop it deserves. After living in a draughty, damp, cramped barn he will soon be living in a warm, bright, new home. I now need to insulate, board, wire, plumb, paint and move everything in.

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
Hey Steve if you could have had the guy building the shed / garage build the Elan you would have already have set the record for "the worlds fastest Elan" long ago :rofl:

PS over here we call them man caves :)

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Welcome back! That's looking amazing, more like a museum than a garage. Nice to have the space to work in though.

I thought you'd be finished on the Lotus by now ;)

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Whilst up on the blocks I decided to do a weight reduction progress report. Stuffed the car with all the bits I have that are still to be fitted and weighed the lot. Came in at 642kg. The doors weigh 6kg and 3kg at the moment but will end up around 2kg each. The roof weighs 7kg but the carbon fibre replacement will be nearer 2kg. The missing side and rear windows will be around 6kg in total. The temp wheels and tyres weigh 69.2kg and the new wheels and tyres will be around 64kg. So, we are looking at around 650-680kg wet.

20190814_113333.jpg
20190814_113053.jpg 20190814_113522.jpg

Last edited:

old-git

From
Essex
Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Nice I was wondering how this project is going.
Slowly :)

A few photos showing progress since last posting back in August.

The Lambda sensor had to be swapped with the EGT sensor as it fouled the head, minor design error by exhaust manufacturer. Adaptor allowed the EGT to take its place with no mods.

20191018_131301.jpg

Carbon fibre induction system completed.

20190913_131810.jpg
Bottom rad pipe made to avoid induction system. A tight fit.

20190919_113858.jpg