Arrogant sexist mechanics

misenthrop

Torque Junkie
Car
Rover Vitesse
I'm not your average gal and am more than happy getting stuck into the engine so it really winds me up when a mechanic assumes I know nothing about cars and starts talking absolute crap. It's happened to me loads of times and I'm sure a lot of women get totally ripped off.

I took a car in for a good friend of mine who is tied up with work. The car was failing emissions and I knew the cat was dead due to an overfuelling issue which is just down to a bad sensor which we worked out the other day.

He wanted to replace the whole exhaust system insisting that the cat was integrated into it (when the rest of the exhaust is in perfectly good condition.)

He then suggests that I get the injectors done as well and that I need new plugs and leads as well as a new intake sensor "because they are all connected".

He got a suprise when I told him what was wrong and how i'd go about fixing it and that if he messed me around I'd go and get the parts and do it myself!

Fair play to you miss.

I do hate mechanics who try and rip you off anybody that is.
Just because we take to them to get it fixed doesn't mean we know nothing about cars!
I just hate dishonest people in general.

they are the mechanics that give the motor trade a bad name

i treat everyone the same if they dont know they will tell me and i will explane it in a simple way they they can understand
but tends to be blokes then girls that have not got a clue

they are the mechanics that give the motor trade a bad name

i treat everyone the same if they dont know they will tell me and i will explane it in a simple way they they can understand
but tends to be blokes then girls that have not got a clue

You're probably right there chap, I would say it's not a case of they no nothing. It's a case of they think they know everything which makes it even worse.

But you're approch is the best, clear and simple and give it to them straight :)

Plenty of blokes get ripped off as well. I always play dumbwit with a garage I don't know and when the BS starts I wind up the technical co-efficient of the ensuing conversation.

You're probably right there chap, I would say it's not a case of they no nothing. It's a case of they think they know everything which makes it even worse.

But you're approch is the best, clear and simple and give it to them straight :)

ya the ones that think they know everything are the worse ones

if you can i just play along to with them if its a simple job or just a mot ect
anything that they are well off i will tell them

I have a feeling you enjoy that part of the conversation immensely! :lol:

I absolutely do!

Much like I when I went through phase of mild/moderate clinical depression (I'm prone to these incidentally) a few years back.

Finding myself faced with a counsellor whose own IQ was about 50 points short of my own was incredibly theraputic in the short term.

Doesn't solve anything long term but I did learn to recognise, very quickly, my own weaknesses.

Last edited:
We had a similar time at a Toyota dealer about 4 years back, the missus (and myself) turned up in HER 18 month old 206 Gti, wanting to test drive and perhaps trade it in against an MR2. 50 year old salesman ignored her and spent the whole time talking to me.

haha this thread is just born for my country axaxa :) here it is 100 percent going to hapen anywhere u take your car! xaxa there are very few exeptions... the most radical one was my friends mk4 golf it was a bit shaky on low rpms and she took it to a official dealers in wolkswagen,and they made a list with contained thinks like flywheel needed to be replaced,rings around witch belts turn(dont know the name in english :( ) and a load of other thinks,together it costed 600 e :DDDD she didnt have the money and she came to my father to see if maybe there easier solution and it was just(again dont know exact word in english) one `think` or `leg` that bolts engine to the chasie not screwed properly :DDDD just 3 min of work :DD LOL i could make a 1000 other examples of this, its just way of life here :DDDD

On the other hand, you could have not worried your pretty little head about it, there is a Now magazine in the waiting room! lol:D

Just kiddin. They prob dont have much work on, and will try and squeez everything they can out of a job. I have seen it myself.

On the other hand, you could have not worried your pretty little head about it, there is a Now magazine in the waiting room! lol:D

Just kiddin. They prob dont have much work on, and will try and squeez everything they can out of a job. I have seen it myself.
Someone likes to live dangerously! ;)