ariel atom V/8

How did they get a V8 engine on the Atom! Whatever next? I wonder what the 0-60 time will be. I guess with the V8 weight traction is not much of an issue.

Weight usually increases traction problems unless that weight is directly over the driven wheels

Even then we can look at Porsche's 911 in years gone by and see what is effectively a pendulum hanging out over the rear wheels in the form of a flat 6 air cooled 3.3 litre engine.

How did they get a V8 engine on the Atom! Whatever next? I wonder what the 0-60 time will be. I guess with the V8 weight traction is not much of an issue.

Cut from Ariel Atom website:

Center of the Atom V8 is the lightweight 3 litre normally aspirated engine built for Ariel in the USA. Flat plane crank, forged pistons, chain driven double overhead cam with 4 valves per cylinder and revving to 10,500 rpm, the all alloy and aluminium engine has race car specification throughout. Dry sump lubrication, 8 throttle bodies with sequential fuel injection and ceramic coated stainless exhaust are all part of the standard specification and, due to the compact nature of the engine, the installation fits perfectly in to the Atom engine bay. Each engine is individually tested, signed off and numbered to match the number of the car.

So, there you are :)

the engines are based on suzuki hayabusa units produce in excess of 500bhp and do 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds, 3ltr V/8 6 speed trans power to weight =900 bhp per ton there is a vid on you tube review by auto car uk

Last edited:
i quite hate the fact that at $160000 it's not gonna be the poor man's supercar killer any more. not it's just a two seater formula car.