Are your mirrors adjusted correctly ??

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
When you are sitting upright you should not be able to see the sides of your car by just turning your head .To see the sides when needed just turn your head & lean a little to the side you want to see.This eliminates most if not all of the blind spot .

it's funny you should post this. I adjusted our mirrors the other day as they had the side of the car . in them.

I would argue that if you have to move your head to see out of the door/wing mirrors then they aren't adjusted properly. The interior mirror on the VW Fox just covers the rear window so there is no overlap. Therefore to make sure I am getting the best view the side mirrors just show the edge of the car.

I usually keep my inside mirror at an angle so that I CAN see the sides of my car. In London with narrow roads it is the only way to keep a track of cyclists & motorcyclists especially when I intend to turn left.

I fully expected that there would be differing opinions and welcome them as love to hear other peoples thoughts & way of thinking. Can't see any problems with setting mirrors to see a little of the side as O-G posted BUT not 1/2 of it without moving head to side if that suits your traffic but FWIW I prefer to minimize my blind spots.

I do a lot of motorway driving and I wouldn't agree with you. I will never, no matter how big or good the mirror is, trust it to show me my blind spot. I would always check it before moving out. So setting it up so that if I tilt my head I can see it, I would still check it anyway.

The mirror only show what is on veiw from the drivers seat.
If the cat has a blind spot because a pillar is in the way adjusting the mirror wont help but moving your head may.

Also it is the size and position of the mirrors and windows determines how much you can see.
On my stagea the mirrors show the side of the car as well as the entire area behind and you can still see the centre of the road and the pavement. There is a small blind spot
but adjusting the mirrors just shows more of the road/pavement whilst the blind spot remains .
Only by moving my head can I see the small blind spot I because the angle is different

BBJ I also do/have done a lot of motorway driving(5000k in 8 days )and a shoulder check is part of my driving system.
When I was supervising multiple domestic dwellings for 2 years my area was quite big and diverse & 250+k's a day was the norm.
Did not expect everyone to agree with my OP and that's ok by me just hope that it has got some thinking and trying it out for themselves.

T9 when you think about it the more you can see of the side of your car the bigger the blind spot.

Last edited:
Wow... Our driving test is very outdated! We are told to adjust mirrors so you can see everything but your blind spot, otherwise you'll loose marks on not checking your blind spot.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back