Are your brakes good

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It seems that some cars are known for spongy vague brakes and others have really sharp brakes?

Do you find certain models sharp and others not or is it more varied down to each individual car?

Do you think this is a model design issue or is down to the way the car was put together or parts used in the last service where some same models cars are quite different?

Mine are very good, to be honest brakes and tyres get my utmost attention at least 3 times a year, and especially after a track day.

Six pot calipers with 360mm floating discs Obi, this photo is after they were just repainted from the original red to the new yellow last year.

016.JPG

Excellent stoppers OS |B
Is there any bias adjuster fitted so you can get the full stopping power of the front brakes without locking the rears or were the rears upgraded as well to retain good front to rear brake balance ?

All cars need good brakes and fast ones need even better ones to be able to stop even better.
BTW Claymore is the T10 finished??

Excellent stoppers OS |B
Is there any bias adjuster fitted so you can get the full stopping power of the front brakes without locking the rears or were the rears upgraded as well to retain good front to rear brake balance ?

Not necessary Rad, no locking issues, BUT, I am thinking of putting the same brakes on the back as the front so I have been advised that a brake bias thingammyjig will be needed ;)

Original 312mm single pot brakes on the A4 were ok as long as you kept some friction material on the discs....otherwise they were awful for the size of the car.

I've since upgraded to 356mm 6 pots on the front now with RS29 pads and feck me I only need to slightly press the pedal now and the car stops. Back brakes don't seem to be at all affected....but some S4 300mm vented discs for the rear are coming soon.

I have had 343mm 6 pot AP Racing discs , caliper and pads on the front and 34gtr v spec 4 pots on the rear of the green one. They are truly awesome.

Stopped very quickly and without any fade from silly speeds on Marham airfield a while back .

Happy with the MGs brakes now, the standard setup is fine for fast road use but found the limit on track. Running Brembo GT2 4 pots on Reyland mounts, 326mm RS discs, DS2500 pads, now stops faster than it goes.

The brakes on my parents Impreza are terrible.
I remember a while ago moving it and I went up the street to turn it round.
Completely missed the road I needed to turn the thing round because I booted it and hit the brakes like I would of done in my old Focus. The Impreza just couldn't stop in time.
I've had Impreza's before but never really noticed the complete lack of brakes until I had the Focus.

This is par for the course with Imprezas, sadly. Most of us change to AP or Brembo.
Latter models got Brembos as standard and they are a lot better.

Yeah there car is an S plate.
Milk bottle tops would stop it quicker!

I once remember seeing an Impreza at Scooby Clinic. And all the chaps that worked there said the owner was mad. He'd just cleared 450 Bhp on standard brakes. The whole place took bets for when he finally wraps it round a lamppost lol