Are you silent or chatty when driving

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've noticed that some people are really chatty when they are driving and seem to feel the need to fill every moment of the journey with natter. Others like myself tend to be pretty silent especially when driving.

The thing is that when people get in the car when I'm driving they think I'm in a mood! :eek:

Is this just me or is there anyone else like this?

Depends on my mood. On motorway drives I like to keep talking so I don't start to feel drowsy, hence my huge phone bill when i do long drives alone, lol.

Tend to stay quiet, probably due to the 1000's of miles done solo in the past whilst working. Also with 3 teenagers ususally in the car these days cannot get a word in edgeways!:D

thats the main thing all goes on who your with

but i am quite chatty when driving
I agree.Depends who ya wi.If your with a mate i think you tend to chat.But say if you giving somebody a lift home from work i think you tend to keep a bit quiet.Some people are diff.

Very broad question. There are times when you really don't want to talk to anyone, whether or not in a car or driving it.

I think I chatter away quite a lot whislt driving, but when I need a few seconds extra attention to the road then I go quiet for that period. Perhaps, say, when executing a swift overtaking move.

This is the problem with mobile phones - whether or not hands-free, you caller is not within the environment of the car with you. They cannot have any chance of perceiving what it is you're dealing with at the moment you go quiet.

OK, a lot of passengers stuggle with that as well, but it's much easier to ignore them than it is to ignore some one on the end of the phone who is repeating. "Hello, hello, are you there....." etc.

I often chatter away to myself whilst driving an otherwise empty car. A running commentary to yourself on your driving itself, what you're seeing, how you plan do deal with what's ahead (and behind), in what order, etc etc.

The commentary driving thing is very useful if you want to keep your driving skills polished.

I'd suggest that all torque members try it. But not in front of a passenger you don't know - they will posibbly think you're mad.

In my case, they'd be right. :-(

HDi, you say that you talk to yourself..

That is EXACTLY how I got myself through my driving test, it lets the examiner know that you know what's going on too :)

I often chatter away to myself whilst driving an otherwise empty car. A running commentary to yourself on your driving itself, what you're seeing, how you plan do deal with what's ahead (and behind), in what order, etc etc.

The commentary driving thing is very useful if you want to keep your driving skills polished.

I'd suggest that all torque members try it. But not in front of a passenger you don't know - they will posibbly think you're mad.

In my case, they'd be right. :-(

this is something they like you to do on avance driving courses and learner driver courses. its something i think about cant say i talk out loud tho

I've done a couple of driving assessments with a Police Class 1 instructor. These take five hours apiece and they work you very very hard indeed.

I don't like doing the commentary with an observer but you have to do so.

What it can DOES achieve is that it helps you to deal with situations in the ocrrect order. No point fixating on a roundabout 1/2 mile ahead when there's kids on the path 1/5 mile ahead, for example.

What a lot of people find initially is that they're commentating on what's just gone past rather than what's ahead and how they plan to deal with it.

The act of talking it out loud can also help to dismiss things that no longer matter.