Are you often in the wrong gear

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Go on then, be honest, how often do you drive around in the wrong gear?

I think people fall in to two groups, those who stay in a high gear thinking they are saving fuel and those who drive around in low gears screaming away at high RPM.

Do you fall into these groups or do you tend to pick the right gear.

Do you have a favourite VERSIGEAR that you use most of the time?

3rd of 4th is verisgear.

did find myself coming downhill into a small village last week trying to do 25 in 6th. safe to say it didnt like it

A lot of drivers seem to leave gear changing very late rather than selecting the correct one for the situation. I see people try ting to change gear, panning the steering wheel at the same time whilst trying to negotiate a mini roundabout.

Why not select the correct gear earlier? Makes for much easier driving.

On a separate note I hate that one handed steering technique - looks so babyish.

Gears - at the moment I can't get in the wrong gear courtesy of 6spd auto :-D

No. Not really. The volvo gear selection is very forgiving.

And the Evo........ As long as I'm between 4 and 6k RMP its all ok!! lol :cheesy:

I have found when driving the Vectra I can be in the wrong gear or not in 6th when I should be, not used to a smooth quiet car! The MG ZS is an easy one as it is so smooth in any gear and never can be in the wrong gear. The howling V6 reminds me of where I am in the gearbox. :bigsmile:

:lol: A curse on you and PG! Intellectuals prefer to use automatics as this gives us more thinking time to ponder on lifes little problems and to come up with solutions to those problems!

Manual drivers need the dexterity practice for better hand eye coordination in their manual labour type jobs :lol:

Manual drivers need the dexterity practice for better hand eye coordination in their manual labour type jobs :lol:

OOOF!! Come and break down on the A9 in the highlands where your blackberry wont get any signal. Lets see how your soft, nivia moisturised hands cope then having to undo nuts and bolts lol :lol::lol::lol:

in the octavia diesel i had as a courtesy car i would often be in the wrong gear
for example going round a corner in 3rd instead of 2nd but im used to cars that could competently do it in 3rd
also a dangerous feature of the octavia was if you didnt drop down a gear when it told you to it would increase the revs automatically to compensate which caught me of guard a couple of times going round a corner:mad:

in the octavia diesel i had as a courtesy car i would often be in the wrong gear
for example going round a corner in 3rd instead of 2nd but im used to cars that could competently do it in 3rd
also a dangerous feature of the octavia was if you didnt drop down a gear when it told you to it would increase the revs automatically to compensate which caught me of guard a couple of times going round a corner:mad:

Maybe because you were below the idle threshold?