Are you getting winter tyres

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you plan to get winter tyres fitted to your car this winter?

What make will you go for.

This is a reminder as well, last year all the winter tyres were sold out by the end of November!

I've got a second set of wheels with winter tyres fitted which come out each winter. I thoroughly recommend them to anyone more for the safety when it comes to turning and braking than anything else.

My car is Quattro, so generally speaking, its pretty good at getting going... the problem comes when trying to stop from anything other than about 2mph. With the winter tyres on the ability to turn and brake is so unbelievably different its hard to believe we're allowed to drive on ice/snow without them - given all the other laws and regulations in the UK.

The tyres I use are Pirelli Sottozero S2's. Being a 275/35/20 fitment on my car (I can't go smaller due to calliper clearance) the choice of winter tyres is very limited.

Remember tyres need to be stored properly to prevent hardening and loss of grip.There are products that help restore grip by softening the rubber but I am unsure as to how long this lasts in everyday driving.