Are you fuel paranoid

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How paranoid are you at putting the wrong fuel in your car?

I've never owned a diesel and yet I still check the pump I'm using about 3 or 4 times each time I fill up.

I bet as soon as I get a diesel I end up putting in the wrong fuel.

Yeah, I do the same, its stupid despite the fact you make sure the right pump is in the tank before you start the fuel delivery up, i still keep glancing down - dont know what im expecting, for a diesel pump to teleport into position where, moments before the was unleaded petrol, maybe.

Dont like these new superfast pumps either, I always go one penny over what i want to spend.

Diesel pump nozzles are much wider and won't fit filler necks on most petrol cars.

Petrol into a diesel engine is bad news - don't even turn it over is the best advice.

I wasn't until I put 30 liters of unleaded into the works van, I realized my mistake at the pump. After that I probably check about three times before I use a pump now! :embarrest: The guy who came to pick the van up said that the BP station I was at has the most fuel mix ups in the area, he thought it had something to do with the way they label their pumps.

Yeah, I do the same, its stupid despite the fact you make sure the right pump is in the tank before you start the fuel delivery up, i still keep glancing down - dont know what im expecting, for a diesel pump to teleport into position where, moments before the was unleaded petrol, maybe.

Dont like these new superfast pumps either, I always go one penny over what i want to spend.

Superfast pumps - our local ones are super slow! 6 minutes for a complete fill up! If only.
Diesel pump nozzles are much wider and won't fit filler necks on most petrol cars.

Petrol into a diesel engine is bad news - don't even turn it over is the best advice.
I know the nozzle sizes make this impossible but even despite that I still keep checking!:eek: Crazy isn't it!

superfast pumps ????????????? its only because its so dear. diesels available in the fast pumps but only at the HGV ones. 400ltrs would take a rather long time with most pumps

Not had a problem here, but our Petrol cars are Saloons and Diesel is LandRover and my brain associates Diesel with off-road, so it sorta works.

superfast pumps ????????????? its only because its so dear. diesels available in the fast pumps but only at the HGV ones. 400ltrs would take a rather long time with most pumps

The nearest petrol station has spent the last month or so replacing all of its pumps with brand new ones, They are probably not as mental as HGV ones, but they put about £10 worth of fuel in the tank in about four seconds, a full tank in about half a minute, which from the sound of it is a lot faster than the ones waynne has to use

its no problem if you have a lot of cash and want a speedy fill up, but when you just want say £10 or £20 quids worth of petrol (or diesel ), a mere feather touch of the handle will put you over.

I always double check but I've owned both diesel and petrol so thats my excuse.

I always double check, my MG is petrol but the Discovery recently bought is diesel. It's not the first time I have run both petrol and diesel cars. There are 6 cars in our household but no-one has yet made a mistake!

Not since I swapped to diesel for my personal vehicle as well as driving diesels at work.

Only time I'd have to think is if I ever had to borrow and fill my mothers car.

My Focus has Ford's easy fuel system. No filler cap just a flap and it will only take the unleaded nozzle so I don't have an issue. And i've found that it's down to the car as to how fast the pump can deliver.

Why can't they all do it? Things that are that helpful should not be patented or Ford should donate the parts to other car makers for a small fee.

This really should be reserved for MkIV Astra drivers - they're the only ones dumb enough to use the wrong fuel - Dad, are you listening??

:lol::lol::lol:

You probably already know but the AA have special vehicles that can drain your tank and fill it back up again with the correct fuel, how bad must this problem be if they have to have those patrolling all the time?

A guy I know at work recently bought a new diesel VW Passat and only the second time he filled it up he put petrol in it instead. His car before was a petrol Ford Mondeo and he just hadn't gotten used to it yet.

I'm a Mark 4 Astra owner Paul and i've never put the wrong fuel in. However it seems from this threat alot of none astra owners put the wrong fuel in, so you're argument is invalid.

I put petrol in my mondeo a few weeks ago, (I think I've done it to every diesel car I've owned) realized after I put £6 in, just brimmed it with diesel and all is fine :)

I've never mixed petrol and diesel, but I have put 97ron in my Fiesta before by accident - the nozzles on the pump in the garage I normally use are one way on one pump, and the reverse on the other, so when I used the pump I don't normally go to . . . get the idea :lol: The Fiesta loved me though.

The good thing with our garage though, is that they do have touch pads on the pumps that you can use to fix how much petrol you want to put in first before you pick up the nozzle, then it slows down a pound before you get there, and stops dead on ;)

I'm a Mark 4 Astra owner Paul and i've never put the wrong fuel in. However it seems from this threat alot of none astra owners put the wrong fuel in, so you're argument is invalid.

It's not an argument. It's a statement. Therefore non-validity of any such argument as you deem it to be cannot be considered, nor can it be represented, nor need it be defended.

It's a statement based upon my observations hitherto.

Just been past my local station and diesel has come down 4p and petrol up 3p. Did i miss something?

absolutely paranoid - like you Waynne i have to keep checking when filling up numerous times just incase the fuel fairies have magically swapped the nozzle that i had in my hand. the other paranoia i have wehn filling up is when at the end tapping the nozzle to make sure the fuel has all come out (so no drips down the car) that is sparks and cause the tank to blow up - i think that i may have a serious wiring fault inside my head.