Are you feeling smug

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Ok then, all you 4x4 drivers. With all this snow and ice are you starting to feel really smug?

All year round drivers resent the large 4x4's and glare at them in petrol stations. Has this bad weather and lack of grip turned the tables?

Anyone else thinking of getting a four wheel drive?

Subaru's a dream in the snow. those that say they keep seeing them stuck etc should look at the drivers first. They've always been great cars in the snow even at the start of the 90's, cant even remember what model we had (not the Justy - before this). it still pulled like a Trojan in the snow.
So feeling smug, yes, especially looking at bmw drivers.

well looks like it might of been on studded tyres so would have a bit more grip or even if it was just on snow tyres it was a good pull

but yes i was out everyday playing in the snow was clad i got the discovery and just put my mud tyres on the night before it snowed so did not get stuck anywere on the road
but went off roading on the friday and was getting stuck on some big holes if you did not do it first time it just made it shiney and made it very slipply

heard today could be getting some more this week and then i feb it might snow again but worse then what we had so far

In ice and snow you don't need a big 4x4 on most roads if you know how to drive in it. Have driven my FWD Getz through some really bad conditions without getting stuck.

That being said, it is of course a lot better to have a big 4x4 if you are going off the main roads and it can, in some cases, be more convenient in towns and main roads but I don't think you usually get that much snow down there do you?

no most of it is people cant drive in the dry so got no hope in the snow

that saying i am justing doing a few more mods to mine ready for the winter ready for off roading in the snow

I agree with him.

I spent a lot of last winter's snowy days watching moronic 4x4 drivers coming to the realisation that simply having 4 wheel drive cannae change the laws of physics captain. If you barrel mindlessly into that roundabout in your pointlessly huge Q5 or even your capable Range Rover you're going to spin because you have a 2 tonne car with a sky-high centre of gravity.

I envy you Hansi, everyone in your country has become so use to the snow and icy conditions that driving on it for you, is basically 2nd nature and presents no real issues or problems!
Over here unfortunately, all it takes is two snow flakes and a leaf to bring the country to a halt on our public transport network, the airports shut down and the roads starts to resemble a scene from "Dancing On Ice" but with cars. :amuse:

about 14 months ago we had some rather large earth quakes in Christchurch NZ , 4x4s and their clubs proved their worth in getting emergency services into hard to get places

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back