Are you an overtaker?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How often do you overtake cars? I seem to be overtaking less and less and I don't know if this is down to my growing wisdom, lack of desparation to burn fuel or just the increasing volume of traffic on the road.

What method do you use?
  1. Pass with speed in hand after building speed up
  2. Pull out then put your foot down
  3. Accelerate hard toward the car in front and then pull sharply out.
  4. Just close my eyes and pray!:confused:

hang back a little bit, so there is a gap, then boot it so i have the extra speed then pull out while still getting faster :]

How often do you overtake cars? I seem to be overtaking less and less and I don't know if this is down to my growing wisdom, lack of desparation to burn fuel or just the increasing volume of traffic on the road.

What method do you use?
  1. Pass with speed in hand after building speed up
  2. Pull out then put your foot down
  3. Accelerate hard toward the car in front and then pull sharply out.
  4. Just close my eyes and pray!:confused:

Oh God Yes, I Overtake Anything That Moves :bigsmile:

I Used Method 1, Its The Safest & Most Practical

Methods 2-3 Are Risky, May Not Work...

Method 4 Wil Likely End In Death :lol:

still pass as much too many old folk around here, as everywhere else, drive around 45mph. Normally sit safely behind the car until i can see its clear and if required drop it a cog or two and go

I overtake anything in front of me that drops below 50 (on a motorway). I watch my right lane for a long gap, my golf can pull pretty good from 5th gear so there is no need to drop. if the speed is really below 50 then I drop a gear, wathc for a nice gap in the right lane and overtake.

But ot be honest, these days I watch my fuel. It is a challenge to make golf MK4 GTI 1.8T do 47 MPG form Swindon to London :0-) and I do. Optimum speed is between 60 and 70 mph.

golf MK4 GTI 1.8T do 47 MPG form Swindon to London :0-) and I do. Optimum speed is between 60 and 70 mph.

WHAT :blink::blink: thats about 10mpg more than what i got driving from lockerbie to essex
your right it still pulls cleanly in 6th in my case. However with the short straights around here i prefer to use 4th even 3rd at times to pass

Wait for a gap, build up speed and drop a gear when I have to and then overtake.

I overtake when people are doing belov 80-85 km/h on the 90 zones

Do you tend to blast past in a gap or do you wait for an empty road? I've misjudged a gap once and this has made me more cautious. I tend to hold back more now and wait for a fairly clear road or a very long straight.

i usually get behind the car as normal then when i see a gap floor it and pull out

did this once when some idiot in a mini was doin 30 in a sixty, so as i pulled out the mini started to speed up so i had to in turn speed up, this caused me to tazke longer to overtake and as i got about half way past i bloody audi had just come round the bend about 1/4 of a mile in front so i had slam on my breaks and pull in,

alot more cautious now!

gota say am definatly a number 3. its just the way my mates used to do it, and i just copied ever since then, i am hoping that ma car now will change me as it is not fast enough! grrr

passat power can't wait

Overtaking is alive and well (well, at least when I'm driving). It seems to be increasingly common though that I'm overtaking vehicles who are in lane two and are apparently trying to overtaking the invisible man in his invisible van in the empty lane 1....! Why do folk insist on sitting in the second lane?

I over someone te day doing 40, and a car pulled out of the layby on the oppisite side of the road. how he didnt see me i dont know, but going by the fingers and mouthing off he was doing i think he thought i was to blame

I over someone te day doing 40, and a car pulled out of the layby on the oppisite side of the road. how he didnt see me i dont know, but going by the fingers and mouthing off he was doing i think he thought i was to blame

sorry mate but legally and morally you would have been to blame cause you say how did he not see you the question is how did you not see him pulling out of a layby on his side of the road ?? when he would have been looking right for a space to pull out and not left for overtaking vehicles on the wrong side of the road

but on another note this is what gets me people who drive slower than the legal required speed limit these people cause tailbacks, road rage and other drivers to take risks overtaking because they dont want to be stuck doing 30-40mph on a 60mph road therefore they are more of a hazard than people who speed surely these people deserve to get a fixed penalty !!!

sorry mate but legally and morally you would have been to blame cause you say how did he not see you the question is how did you not see him pulling out of a layby on his side of the road ?? when he would have been looking right for a space to pull out and not left for overtaking vehicles on the wrong side of the road

but on another note this is what gets me people who drive slower than the legal required speed limit these people cause tailbacks, road rage and other drivers to take risks overtaking because they dont want to be stuck doing 30-40mph on a 60mph road therefore they are more of a hazard than people who speed surely these people deserve to get a fixed penalty !!!

Now now, herb - it wasn;t you that pulled out of the layby was it?!

If there had been a collision it would have been a 50/50 split in fault.

There shouldn't have been any overtaing opposite the layby where someone was there to pull out - whether they were pulling out or not, and the chap pulling out of the layby should have looked both ways, even though he was joining traffic in the same direction.

I've been in a similar situation, often the road conditions change as you move along - a good driver needs to adapt.

Sadly there are some who will deliberately obstruct and cause accidents out of ruddy mindedness!

Now now, herb - it wasn;t you that pulled out of the layby was it?!

If there had been a collision it would have been a 50/50 split in fault.

There shouldn't have been any overtaing opposite the layby where someone was there to pull out - whether they were pulling out or not, and the chap pulling out of the layby should have looked both ways, even though he was joining traffic in the same direction.

it wasnt me :lol: and i wasnt having a go at pgarner i was just pointing out that pgarner could see the other driver so perhaps shouldnt of overtaken at that point and i know we are supposed to check both ways before pulling out but if you are trying to time your pull out you are concentrating more on your side of the road as not to disturb the flow of traffic well i do
nod.gif

sometimes i drop it in to second then floor,it doesnt do the engine any good but it sure does sound nice though,then move back in and let normal driving commence.

I'm defiantly an overtaker (but only in my usual/own cars) and am lucky enough I can safely blast past people even in smallish gaps without having to build speed on a run-up.

The second I have to drive something slower (had a 2.0 TDi Golf as a courtesy car) I get nervous and don't think I can pass anything at all - despite the fact it'd no doubt happily overtake everything I normally do.

Usually only late at night and only me in the car I will overtake pretty much anything thats slower than me. If its a big straight road (say a 30 limit) and someone's just sat at 30mph (no need really late at night with nothing else on road) i'll overtake them. When the missus is in the car I take it a bit easier (only anthing not doing the speed limit).

Will only ever do so when its safe and I can see a good way down the road. I will usually get a bit close to them to see if they speed up. If they don't then drop back, make sure its clear and floor it.

On normal roads in town and such i'll happily sit behind a car and follow. But there is alot of country roads round here and on them I overtake everything. There are a few lanes I know very well so I can set myself up to pass before the passing point. I use option 3 though.

not nessesry i get better economy being in a high gear at say 50 than i do being in the same gear at 40 due to the engine struggleing as much. if i drop it down a gear then i get the economy back but have a gear thats sitting doing nothing and could be used

optional 1 normally but as per tn69 above a lot of country roads near me so, depending on the time of year (i.e. best in winter as no leaves on the trees) already up to overtaking speed just as the corner is rounded. (was caught out one time before though when the tw*t in front of me speeded up and closed the hole, in the end though, with a car coming the other way, i just pointed the front end in the (now very tiny) gap and nosed my way in with a lot of gesticulating. Tend to overtake much less if the wife is with me.

yes i am, only when its safe to do so

however, i want to become an undertaker, yeah the moneys dead i know
but its all ground work lol

I didnt used to be an "overtaker", but more recently i find myself overtaking everyone i find to be going a bit too slow for my likeing, i got stuck behind a highway maintenance truck ( full of rocks ) this morning going up a hill, soon a huge tailback of about fourty cars had built up, Thankfully i knew the road like the back of my hand and overtook on the only straight that i knew was safe, i didnt see a car behind me for the rest of my journey.

Last edited:
I didnt used to be an "overtaker", but more recently i find myself overtaking everyone i find to be going a bit too slow for my likeing, i got stuck behind a highway maintenance truck ( full of rocks ) this morning going up a hill, soon a huge tailback of about fourty cars had built up, Thankfully i knew the road like the back of my hand and overtook on the only straight that i knew was safe, i didnt see a car behind me for the rest of my journey.

All the people behind you may have died from the rocks falling out of the truck while it broke to avoid ya :p

Grief! that would not be good.

thankfully i dont think it would have had to brake, it was doing about 5 mph.

mind you ive seen a lot of cars with dented bonnets round here recently.
oh dear...

I've been overtaking a lot more recently since I have got the Quattro! The extra bit of speed really does help instill some confidence!

I have been known to overtake on the odd occation. :embarrest:

I cant help my self. When I am doing a long journy I am travelling at 60 and the car is travelling at 60 in front of me, and he is driving some slow accelarating car then I will overtake him, because I know he would struggle to get past lorries, busses and scoobies.

But I have to be honest, I like to think I am a safe overtaker. If I can't see round it, I don't do it. If I see a car comming towards me (inless its ona 4mile long strate) then I wont overtake. But I know I have the power there to overtake slow moving objects. Its the guys in the slow cars that drift pass is that anoy me.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back