Are you a driver or motorist ?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Some may have noticed that I use both terms in my posts so here are my definitions on each type.

DRIVER is one that knows the rules and obeys them and is up to speed on any changes BUT never assumes that anyone else on the roads does.
Has the best posture behind the wheel with hands @ 9 & 3 elbows bent at app 90 degrees, sitting upright in a relaxed position with the seat belt adjusted correctly and concentrating on driving in a safe and courteous manner,indicates their intentions well in advance and checks mirrors as well as shoulder checks BEFORE changing lanes most importantly concentrating on the job DRIVING and not thinking about anything else that will distract them or lessen awareness of everything that is happening and constantly changing around them.They will also ensure that any passengers are securely belted up.

A DRIVER will do basic vehicle checks at least weekly to ensure that all fluids are at correct levels, tyres have sufficient tread depth are at recommended pressures including the spare and all lights are operating.

MOTORIST is one who takes little pride if any in their driving and I dare say would never pass the test if they had to if they were required to do it again driving in the manner they drive now as they have developed a number or bad habits like steering with 1 hand @ any position on the wheel usually between 10 & 2 and the other one can be anywhere else like on the gearstick,handbrake or out the window holding the door shut /roof on, rarely if ever indicate OR indicate correctly and if they do it is usually as they swing the wheel,has the seat way too far back so the arm/arms are locked on straight,allows passengers to put feet on dash or have seat back way too far back so in the event of a crash the 3 point belt will be ineffective and will allow the passenger to submarine under the belt and end up in the footwell

They are rarely aware of the condition of their tyres and lights and rely on any fault to be drawn to their attention @ the next service that may be anything up to 15000 klm's away .V(
Last but not least people behind the wheel that drive with headphones so they are distracted .V( And anyone with/using a electronic gadget in their hand :mad:

PS I am passionate about road safety and driving standards in general and am not perfect but do strive to be the best driver that I can be and hope that anyone who reads this post may have a hard look at how they drive.

Last edited:
Good for you Obi |B I never had any misgivings about you in that regard :)

I work with a woman in her 40's and she tells me that she never checks anything on her SUV as quote "it's her partners job" and is clueless as to weather it is AWD,RWD or FWD. She said that she does not have the slightest interest in cars .V(.V(.V(

I guess that provoked me to post this thread to hopefully get some to think about how they operate a machine that has killed and wounded more than all the casualties from all the world wars added together.

I guess that if I were to narrow down my definitions then a MOTORIST would be one that has learned the basics how to operate a motor vehicle and get it to move from A to B and never had any inclination to undertake any further training or instruction.

A DRIVER would be a SKILLED operator.

Last edited:
I'd like to think I'm a driver.

But I'm not 100% convinced I'd pass a driving test today.

Lunchy sadly many people in the "motorist "category attempt to "teach" their children who have been watching them drive for 16 years , how to drive and IMO they can't teach what they don't know.

I have observed so many private cars with "L" plates fail to indicate,speeding, not keeping left , incorrect steering technique etc etc

Has to be driver. Would we get any motorists on such a forum? Would they even know these forums exist?
I have taught my wife and daughters the basics of driving but handed over the full teachings to the professionals as I know I have many bad habits. In time they have developed their own habits. Out of the wife and three daughters only one is a driver!

This is not aimed at anyone in particular LOL
It has been said that "no man considers himself to be a bad driver or a bad lover" :rofl:

On the daily commute I am a motorist. It's such a boring run and I hate driving in traffic. Not the brainless motorist but not doing it for the joy of driving, just minimal to drive safely and efficiently.

At weekends I am a driver, when the roads are clear and I can have more fun.