Are you a boy racer

When I was a young, knowitall idiot, I used to indulge in various forms of streetracing. This ranged from stop light drag races to 1/4 mile races for money as well as general charging around. Not my fault, I lay this squarely at the feet of biology. Damn testosterone was to blame, coupled with being imortal and a brilliant driver.

Nope! I much prefer being on my own and blasting the car around some quiet backroads. Still play with a few others when the moods strikes me and there are no cars on the road.

When I was a young, knowitall idiot, I used to indulge in various forms of streetracing. This ranged from stop light drag races to 1/4 mile races for money as well as general charging around. Not my fault, I lay this squarely at the feet of biology. Damn testosterone was to blame, coupled with being imortal and a brilliant driver.

No way... I would never have even guessed! I am not being sarcastic either, I am genuinely surprised you used to partake in these shenanigans!

:) However, I used my experiences to good effect in my work. I used to be involved in many meetings with residents and road safety groups all trying to reduce traffic speeds in their areas. Their main problem was with young drivers. They would ask for traffic calming measures such as cameras, reduced speed limits, chicanes and humps.

I would explain that I used to be one of these kids and that most of the proposed measures would be treated as challenges not deterrents. The only effective suggestion was road humps but these would annoy the rest of the road users and increase noise and pollution. Those that ignored my advice and had humps installed usually had them removed within a couple of years, sometimes even quicker, as the cure was worse than the illness.

Would it be a case of we are all petrolheads on this forum so at some point or other we may have been a boy-racer? I used to do daft things when I was young. This evolved into doing it legally by means of racing and taking the urge out on track. Nowadays it is the occasional drive in the country with a 'spirited drive' and when I need a fix it will be a track day and release the demons there! It's not that easy being a boy-racer driving 2.8 tons of Landy! I must admit there are times if driving the MG I do act a little childish, but then I always said I would grow old disgracefully!

And the worst of it is this was obviously a very contagious diease cause I caught it without even meeting steve

Can,t say I was ever a boy racer.
Did daft things when a was a youngster mainly on two wheels because I was like O G immortal also.
Now I like a spirited drive in my repmobile now and again.

Here is a question. What do you consider a boy racer as this will help us answer this?

I generally call them the corsa/saxo club that hang around McDonald's car parks at 2am.... Something I've never done.

The genre has evolved (or devolved depending on your point of view and age) over the years. When TV was in monochrome, with only 3 or 4 channels, the term didn't exist and we were just stupid little oikes in our souped up wrecks.

However, what mods we could do were usually aimed at performance rather than looks (with the exception of the rear jacked up and under car lighting brigade). These days anyone with aloud exhaust and stretched tyres is classed as a boy racer. Hell, there are even girl racers now (wouldn't have been allowed in my time :) ).

Only at weekends on empty roads where prevailing conditions are safe to do so and only after I've performed a comprehensive 225 point safety check on the car! - The days just fly bye for me!