Are sun strips legal

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I was wondring if it was legal to have a sun strip fitted to your car. A lot of cars come with top tints.

Does it matter if it comes down slightly into the sweep of the wipers? Can they be solid or must they be tinted and allow some light through?

Haha, this I can help with.

I've just pulled out an MOT failier for my Calibra Turbo and the legal limit, or the maximum limit allowed for an MOT is something like 40mm of the window. I'll type it word for word so you can see yourself.

"Windscreen has a sticker or other obstruction encroaching into the swept area by more than 40mm outside zone 'A' [9.3.1e]"

So there you are, if you have a sunstrip, dont go over 40mm of the wiper sweep area of the windscreen ;)

Last edited:
my rover used to have a green top tint, didnt work brilliantly but the idea was there :lol:

i cant have one :( well it would only be about 2" wide, my blades stop just short of the top of the windscreen

good job i wasnt after one anyway ;)

Like said there must be limits and hums and hars of what you can and cant have as our toyota yaris came with one when bought from the dealer. Look into it properly and ask at a garage or somewhere that do that sort of work.