Are small cars more fun

misenthrop

Torque Junkie
Car
Rover Vitesse
Do you think that small cars are more fun than bigger ones.

What about if both had the same performance (acceleration/braking) would the smaller car be more entertaining and rewarding to drive than a bigger one.

I think that we have to take extremes here for this question to work. Compare the fun factor of a 106 GTi with a Jaguar XF.

Different kinds of fun. There's fun to be had with a small car with go-kart handling, but there also a different kind of fun in hustling a big saloon through the bends.

And it feels different. A small car could have identical 0-60 or 50-70 figures as a big one but it will just feel different - there's something more dramatic about the way a big, fast saloon accelerates.

In a small car you are closer to the action and will hear more tyre screech and the like. Small cars can also be fun to chuck around as the limits are within the abilities of most drivers, chuck something bigger like an XF around the same amount and I'm sure that a lot of drivers would just lose it and come off the road.

It probably comes down to what we each mean by a fun drive! Relaxing effortless power and comffort - XF. In your face raw road noises and exploitable loss of grip then the 106 GTi gets it.

Both are actually very good cars. I can see me owning an XF but I don't think i'd ever own the 106 GTi though.

I think an XF Sport would eclipse a 106 GTi in terms of lateral grip.

Wouldn't agree with that! Loz posted a vid a while back of a talon like his. Keeping up with tuned cosworth's in the bends! And a 106 gti handles as well as a metro;)

Wouldn't agree with that! Loz posted a vid a while back of a talon like his. Keeping up with tuned cosworth's in the bends! And a 106 gti handles as well as a metro;)

Many premium saloon cars are extremely wieldy, they can be flung about by the scruff of the neck if you choose to do so.

I like the low inertia & zippy fun that can be had in small hatch, driving the larger ZS is taking some recalibrating as there is a lot more mass rolling around. But with that said the extra torque of the V6 is very entertaining & cornering in the MG is a lot less busy than in the 100R! :lol:

But for pure hooning I'd always go for something light weight, ideally in something like a Westfield or Caterham. :amuse:

Have a look a historic racing you'll see Mini's tussling with big Mustangs & such the Mini's catch the big stuff in the bendy's but the big tin has the legs on the straights. :bigsmile:

I like the low inertia & zippy fun that can be had in small hatch, driving the larger ZS is taking some recalibrating as there is a lot more mass rolling around. But with that said the extra torque of the V6 is very entertaining & cornering in the MG is a lot less busy than in the 100R! :lol:

But for pure hooning I'd always go for something light weight, ideally in something like a Westfield or Caterham. :amuse:

Have a look a historic racing you'll see Mini's tussling with big Mustangs & such the Mini's catch the big stuff in the bendy's but the big tin has the legs on the straights. :bigsmile:

Mustangs aren't known for their agility. At the time most small cars were similar though. The Mini was an exception at the time, I agree. But it's not 1959 anymore.

I've never found large premium cars to be lacking in grip and agility.

Jag XF is an amazing car, I'd rate it more so than the BMW 5 series.
The new range of engines are just awesome, the 5.0 NA V8 is the most Jaguar-ish
And lets not forget that the new XJ is lighter than the XF and it is lighter than all the same cars in it's class like the 7 series and S class and the A8

I do like the A8 W12 since seeing it in the Transporter films and the 7 series from the first film but can I find a Manual 7 series from the same era? I'd invite you to try and find me some rocking horse drops before I do, I would bet you would win!

Jag XF is an amazing car, I'd rate it more so than the BMW 5 series.

Totally agree. My ageing BMW E39 is not a patch on an XF Sport for handling, good as it is.

But I cannot see how anyone would consider a 106 GTi or Saxo VTS to be better in terms of agility. That's just confused.

Well, I'd say your 5 and and a new XF is an unfair comparison because things have moved on since, I was comparing the new 5 to the new XF.

I do think that the 106 gti is going to be more agile beacause at the end of the day no electronic aids of fancy suspension or tyres is going to change the laws of physics...

My 5 series isn't really the point of the discussion. It does very well indeed but the later one is sweeter without a doubt.

But a 106 GTi against an XF Sport? NO CHANCE. The XF will outhandle it regardless of it's electronic aids etc etc. Turn 'em all off and it'll still destroy any 106.

Mustangs aren't known for their agility. At the time most small cars were similar though. The Mini was an exception at the time, I agree. But it's not 1959 anymore.

I've never found large premium cars to be lacking in grip and agility.

This is true, but it's still fun to watch. :amuse:

Many premium saloon cars are extremely wieldy, they can be flung about by the scruff of the neck if you choose to do so.

Wish I had the driving skills to be able to do just that! ;)

Trackday at Snetterton in March so will give it a go :)

An entertaining proposition but a rather impracticle one.

You wont get a big car and a small car with the same performance.

Powwer to weight ratios mean that if any big car had the same low down acceleration it would leave the small car in its wake at high speed .
Simple physics .
And before any of the small car brigade object it works the other way around of course- any small car that can live with a larger one above 100mph will roast it low down.

They cant have the same handling charachteristics either

But if they did have the exacly the same performance including handling why would anyone choose the small car ( except for mpg and parking )