Are performance and branded tyres worth the extra costs

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Is it worth buying high performance and branded tyres?

Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli and Continental generally cost 30% more than a non brand generic tyre, so is it worth paying the extra for them?

I guess on the track it might make a slight difference but in everyday driving does it really matter that much?

What tyres do you go with and do you find a difference between branded and non branded tyres?

You will appreciate quality tyres when it comes to stopping in an emergency as cheap unheard of ching chong brands will take far longer to stop as has been demonstrated many times.

Just imagine if the foam blocks were the back of a semi trailer :eek:

So you want more convincing check this one out ?

Last edited:
You will appreciate quality tyres when it comes to stopping in an emergency as cheap unheard of ching chong brands will take far longer to stop as has been demonstrated many times.

Just imagine if the foam blocks were the back of a semi trailer :eek:

So you want more convincing check this one out ?

An interesting couple of videos, certainly giving food for though.

I have also seen tests where 1/2 worn premium tyres were compared to NEW cheap tyres and still out performed them in wet and dry conditions.

PS the braking tests are / were done with full ABS activation so that takes away the individual drivers skill so the same results could have been achieved by any driver.

Branded tires tend to perform better like bf Goodrich ko2 which is designed to last longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say its worth it to a point. I used to only get Pirellis. BUT i dont track or race the car so...... maybe I could have saved some money and get a leser brand tire and still be good for my driving style?? Makes me think. Maybe the GOOD tires are for ppl who actually need em. Guys who just drive here and there lets say could get away with any brand? This is a good question.

Check the TWI (tread wear indicator) number on the sidewall as the higher the number the longer the wear BUT generally the lesser the grip.and in an energency situation OR in the wet I know which one will be on any of my cars.

IF you must buy cheap Asian tyres then my advise is to drive defensivly all the time and keep at least a 2 second gap which is something that is a rareity these days as tailgating seems to be part of the test going by what I observe on a daily basis.

Is it worth buying high performance and branded tyres?

Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli and Continental generally cost 30% more than a non brand generic tyre, so is it worth paying the extra for them?

I guess on the track it might make a slight difference but in everyday driving does it really matter that much?

What tyres do you go with and do you find a difference between branded and non branded tyres?
Hi, if you are just burning them up around town, hard acceleration, hard breaking, you get the idea..... There is no point at all in spending good money on top tyres, however if you are a driver, and love the open road, there is definitely a point to buying top tyres. I ran Cross Climates on my Vrs Octavia 4x4 and the difference was instantly obvious. Better straight line tracking, more defined high speed direction changes, amazing cornering and in heavy rain, snow.... Nothing better, they pump water away so well.

So it really depends upon what your intentions are toward the tyres. I wouldn't dream of abusing 700 quids worth of tyres myself. But I glady pay it for safety and security at motorway speeds in all weather's.

Hope this helps.

Tread compound is the difference between cheap and quality tyres with similar look alike copy tread patterns.

FWIW I only have budget tyres on my wheelbarrow.

Tread compound is the difference between cheap and quality tyres with similar look alike copy tread patterns.

FWIW I only have budget tyres on my wheelbarrow.
< Edited > Yes, in fact some of the high end tyre compounds are now complex compounds, meaning they can exhibit varying reactions dependant upon external forces. The so call Smart Tyres, a new breed all together with an entirely new science. Take a look at these new developments, https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...out-to-get-a-lot-more-sophisticated-1.3895816

Last edited: